turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule K-1 loss from a different state. TT is assuming the K-1 is from my state.

I reported a long term capital gain loss on my federal return from a K-1. My state return is asking me to fill out the equivalent field in my state (AZ) K-1. However, the K-1 I received is from CA. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Schedule K-1 loss from a different state. TT is assuming the K-1 is from my state.

Yes, even though your Schedule K-1 business is located in another state, the income reported to you is income in your home state. For this reason, you enter the information from Schedule K-1 for both your federal and resident state tax returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Let me clarify my situation. I am a beneficiary of a trust, which is why I received a K1. There was no income reported on the K1, only a loss. TT is asking for certain values from an AZ K1 form. Do I use values from the federal form to replace what would have been on the AZ form?
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

If you did not receive an Arizona Schedule K-1, you have nothing to enter for your state tax return. A California company would not send you an Arizona K-1.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same Question TT. I don't feel you answered this question.  a) Individual is an Arizona Resident b) Individual receives a W2 for his primary employment for AZ State and Federal. c) Individual received a K1 for Federal and CA State (as company that issued, which individual owns shares in - or is a beneficiary of, is a CA company)  d) Individual files AZ (AZ filing only has AZ W2 - as individual did not receive an AZ K1 due to share holding company/trust is a CA company) and Federal taxes returns (federal filing includes Federal W2 and K1).  e) What does individual need to do with a CA K1 that has a loss on it?

I sure wish someone knew the answer to this. This is the exact predicament I find myself in.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies