turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

timc

6th year F-1 FICA withholding

I got my F-1 in 2013. Year 2018 will be my 6th year. If I do not plan to stay for more than 183 days in 2018. Should my company withhold FICA and I report it back? Or my company should not withhold FICA instead.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

As a F-visa holder, you are exempt from FICA for 2013-2017.  Starting from January 1st, 2018, once you become a resident for tax purposes by meeting the  Substantial Presence Test  SPT, you are subject to FICA. When you are a nonresident, your employer should not have withheld your FICA.  Please refer to FICA exempt for more information.

If your employer withholds your taxes in error and you are unable to get a full refund of the amount from your employer, file a claim for refund with the Internal Revenue Service on Form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement

Please see More Form 843 for more information

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

As a F-visa holder, you are exempt from FICA for 2013-2017.  Starting from January 1st, 2018, once you become a resident for tax purposes by meeting the  Substantial Presence Test  SPT, you are subject to FICA. When you are a nonresident, your employer should not have withheld your FICA.  Please refer to FICA exempt for more information.

If your employer withholds your taxes in error and you are unable to get a full refund of the amount from your employer, file a claim for refund with the Internal Revenue Service on Form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement

Please see More Form 843 for more information

timc

Say my company does not withhold FICA in the first 182 days in 2018. On day 183, I become resident alien. Then I need to pay back FICA which is not withheld for the previous 182 days, right? Because in year 2018, if I finally become a resident alien, I need to pay FICA for the whole year.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies