Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BBBorth

Retrieving state refund amount

I submitted both my fed and state taxes 2 months ago electronically, getting the federal return a couple weeks later, and also a note saying my state taxes (MN) were pending.  I then bought a new computer, and this file must not have been transferred.  In order to get the status of this, I need the amount of the state refund.  This of course is not available to me, but must reside somewhere given it was submitted.  How do I retrieve this???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Did you use online software or desktop software?  If you used online TT then you can access your online account and find your information.  If you used desktop (CD/download) software then the tax files were only stored on your own hard drive.  E-filing the returns did not put them into online storage  with TT.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
BBBorth

CD download is what I did.  Yikes, not sure how to get this return back so I can get the refund amount.  That is needed in order to access the state of MN site that can tell a person the status of the return.  Given this was submitted (as confirmed by an email from TT) would I need to talk to someone at TT to retrieve if I gave them the needed personal information?

Sorry---that information is not transmitted to TT at all when you use desktop software.  The tax files are only saved on your own hard drive or any other backup device you use when you use the CD/download.  No way to coax it out of the old computer at all?  

This would be a pain---but did you put the 2019 software on the new computer?  Can you re-create the returns?(and not send them of course)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies