Received W2 for a state I didn't live
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Received W2 for a state I didn't live

I received a W2 from my employer for both MA and NY. I didn't live in NY at all in 2019, nor is the employer based in NY (they're based in MA). Box 16 (state wages) for both the MA and NY W2 I received are the same, so I'm being taxed for two different states, one of which I didn't even live in, on the same amount of income. What do I do to correct this/file to get my taxes back from NY? I don't think I should be paying anything to NY -- I worked at this same employer for the past 5 years and moved out of NY and into MA in 2018, and I was never an official state resident of NY (as in, I never got a NY license, nor did I vote in NY, etc).

2 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

Received W2 for a state I didn't live

You should 1 - make sure your employer isn't continuing to withhold wages or report that you are a NY resident and 2- file a NY tax return to claim any withholding and indicate that the wages were not earned in NY for tax year 2019.


The wages are being reported to two different states, but the tax is determined when you file the return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15

Received W2 for a state I didn't live

One thing to note though....if you were telecommuting to a NY-located office, even though the main company is located in MA, the wages may be subject to the NY telecommuter tax.


But as already noted, Check with your employer though to see what they say .  IF the NY telecommuter tax is in effect, perhaps they could get you reassigned officially somehow to the MA main site instead.  But if you are really working/telecommuting thru a NY-located workplace, you may be stuck with NY taxes.

*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings