turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received corrected W-2 for Arizona, but TurboTax doesn't recognize the update

I received a corrected 2019 W-2 from my employer to include nonresident income earned in Arizona. However, TurboTax does not seem to recognize the updated income locale when I go through the Arizona income module.

I had already filed my Federal Income Taxes as a Washington resident (i.e. no resident state income tax) and nonresident state income taxes to California using TurboTax Premier. The Arizona state wages (box 16) has been amended, so I corrected this box on my W-2 on the Federal return in TurboTax.

However, when I open the Arizona filing module, TurboTax shows that I had an income of $0 in Arizona. Does a corrected W-2 mean I need to refile my Federal Income Taxes to update the Arizona module? I assume no, since the total income on the W-2 did not change; only my locale is being newly-reported.

In case this is a glitch with the software itself, here are some software details. I just purchased the additional state to my Premier version online. My version of Premier is a disc version on Windows 10. I received the latest updates today, as part of starting up TurboTax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

No.

You do not need to amend your federal return assuming the only item that changed on your W-2 form was for the state wages.

You may need to review your input in the My Info section located in the black panel of the left side of your screen to ensure you are able to prepare the nonresident Arizona return.

1. Click Edit to the right of your name 
  2. Confirm your input under #2 "Tell us the state(s) you lived in
  3. Do the same for your spouse if you are married filing jointly. 
  4. Go back to the personal information section, and verify the mailing address and Other state income section. You would enter Arizona in this section. 
  5. Proceed to the Arizona nonresident return now confirm your input for the nonresident state wages allocable to Arizona.  
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

No.

You do not need to amend your federal return assuming the only item that changed on your W-2 form was for the state wages.

You may need to review your input in the My Info section located in the black panel of the left side of your screen to ensure you are able to prepare the nonresident Arizona return.

1. Click Edit to the right of your name 
  2. Confirm your input under #2 "Tell us the state(s) you lived in
  3. Do the same for your spouse if you are married filing jointly. 
  4. Go back to the personal information section, and verify the mailing address and Other state income section. You would enter Arizona in this section. 
  5. Proceed to the Arizona nonresident return now confirm your input for the nonresident state wages allocable to Arizona.  
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies