turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vipermlw

State taxes and reciprocity

We live in MN but work in ND. Both my husband and I have signed reciprocity agreements with our employers. Why do I need to file taxes in both MN AND ND?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You do not need to file a tax return in a reciprocal state if your only income from that state is wages.  If you indicated in Turbo Tax that you made money in another state, it would have added the additional state automatically.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
msat20

when I entered that I lived in Indiana but worked and earned all of 2019's wages in Kentucky, TurboTax said I must stop & complete the KY form to see the accurate tax. How do I get to that form?

I pulled up & completed the 740-NP-R form but I don't understand what they want as far as tax amount paid. Is it just the State amount? How do I get a refund for that money?

msat20

But it didn't open a KY form for me to complete

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

Form 740-NR-R is the form you fill out and give to your employer so that only Indiana Tax is withheld on your Kentucky earnings. 

If you had Kentucky tax withheld (look at your W-2 lines 15, 16, and 17) then answer Yes, you have earnings in another state. Open the Kentucky return and report zero earnings. The program will take the withholding reported on your W-2 (which you already entered on the Federal screens) and show the Kentucky tax as a refund. If there was no Kentucky tax withheld, there is no reason to file a Kentucky state return. 

Next, do your Indiana return and claim all your earnings, including what you earned working in Kentucky. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies