Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kimpaul76

Do you support the tax form MO-TC

I will be filing Missouri state taxes and need to know if you support the MO-TC form and the Champion for Children tax credit.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JohnR1

Yes - TurboTax does support Missouri Form MO-TC and the Champion for Children Tax Credit.

To enter your contribution in TurboTax for calculating your Missouri Champion for Children Tax Credit, please follow the following steps:

• In your return, select State Taxes tab
  • You will be asked a series of interview questions regarding your income and potential deductions and credits in Missouri.  On the page entitled "Miscellaneous Missouri Credits", click on Yes button to work on these credits
  • On "Choose the Tax Credit" page, click on the blue down arrow in the first Credit box.  A drop-down list containing all Missouri tax credits available will open.  
  • The Champion for Children Tax Credit is the second-to-last credit in the drop-down list, entitled "CFC".  Select the CFC credit and it will auto populate the Credit box.
  • In the box entitled "Taxpayer Amount", please enter 50% of the total contribution which you made to a qualified agency - this is the maximum amount of tax credit for which you are eligible, according to the Missouri Department of Revenue Guide to the Champion for Children (CFC) Tax Credit.  Please note: the minimum contribution amount is $100.
  • Click on Continue button and proceed with finalizing your Missouri income tax return.  Your CFC tax credit will be taken against your calculated Missouri income tax.

Please note: any unused Champion for Children Tax Credit which exceeds your Missouri tax due may be carried forward to the next four subsequent years, not to exceed a total of five years. 

Can the tax credit be claimed if standard deduction is used or must I itemize?

One has nothing to do with the other ... one is a credit the other a deduction ... not in the same family. 

Harold31

Turbo Tax 2019 says that I can't e-file my Missouri return because it includes form MO-TC.  It says "TurboTax does not support this information to be filed electronically."

Is this information current, as of 2/1//2020?

I don't know yet.  Won't start return until March to give time for the 1099 to revise 2-3 times.  This is my first year with education expenses.  I may be in same place as you.  Sorry.  So long as you haven't done anything to create a taxable event, there's no reporting required.

Same result as you.  Problem isn't TTax, it's MO DoR requires filing paper MO-TC forms, which I'm still waiting to receive after several months.

Frank125

The answer above is not correct. I also got a message I had to mail my return because TurboTax does NOT support E-filing of MO-TC. If this is a Missouri State issue and not a TurboTax issues, I suggest TurboTax work this out with the MO Department of Revenue, if possible. 

Here's my suggested work-around that I will try. E-file without the MO-TC and then file an amended return to claim the credit. Should make the process much simpler.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies