Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mattc032

When are Federal and State taxes due for California residents?

The IRS seems to extended the tax deadline for California residents in natural disaster counties. Does this mean both federal and state taxes do not have to be filed until October? https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-may-15-tax-deadline-extended-to-oct-16-for-disaster-area-taxpayers-...
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Yes, the IRS has extended the filing deadline for California residents to October 16, 2023, to file their individual income tax returns.  The extension was granted for Disaster areas taxpayers in California, Alabama, and Georgia.

According to the IRS website, The additional relief has been postponed until Oct. 16, with various tax filing and payment deadlines, including those for most calendar-year 2022 individual and business returns. This includes Individual income tax returns, originally due on April 18; Various business returns, normally due on March 15 and April 18; and returns of tax-exempt organizations, normally due on May 15."

Also, for California residence, the IRS has limited the extension to certain areas,  individuals and households affected by severe winter storms, flooding, landslides and mudslides that reside or have a business in Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Del Norte, El Dorado, Fresno, Glenn, Humboldt, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Lake, Los Angeles, Madera, Mariposa, Mendocino, Merced, Mono, Monterey, Napa, Nevada, Orange, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Benito, San Bernardino, San Francisco, San Joaquin, San Mateo, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Sierra, Sonoma, Stanislaus, Trinity, Tulare, Tuolumne and Yuba counties qualify for tax relief.

The extension also allows eligible taxpayers to make 2022 contributions to their IRAs and health savings accounts until October 16.  

@mattc032 

[Edited 03/27/2023| 12:47pm PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mattc032

Thank you! So i do not need to file an extension? I can just submit between now and October 16th and I will not be penalized in anyway, even if it shows that I owe taxes instead of getting a refund?

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to file for an extension.  According to the IRS, "The IRS automatically identifies taxpayers who reside or have a business in the covered disaster areas and applies filing and payment relief. This means if you qualify for this relief, you don't need to request an extension of time to file or an extension of time to pay."

Also, for California residents, the IRS has limited the extension to certain areas,  individuals, and households affected by severe winter storms, flooding, landslides, and mudslides that reside or have a business in Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Del Norte, El Dorado, Fresno, Glenn, Humboldt, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Lake, Los Angeles, Madera, Mariposa, Mendocino, Merced, Mono, Monterey, Napa, Nevada, Orange, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Benito, San Bernardino, San Francisco, San Joaquin, San Mateo, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Sierra, Sonoma, Stanislaus, Trinity, Tulare, Tuolumne and Yuba counties qualify for tax relief.

See links below:

IRS Extends Disaster Relief

IRS Tax Relief

@mattc032 

hl438
Returning Member

I am still not clear about this and many that I talked to say one or the other.

Are all California residents in the listed counties do not have to file extension for both federal and state tax?
Or only if we are personally affected (there is qualifying criteria for this) and this requires evidence when filing the tax return?

And wondering if this is automatic extension for residents, why turbo tax (PC) doesn't inform me this is the case when I try to file extension. 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

The extension covers all California residents in the listed counties.

The IRS says:

Taxpayers considered to be affected taxpayers eligible for the postponement of time to file returns, pay taxes and perform other time-sensitive acts are those taxpayers listed in Treas. Reg. § 301.7508A-1(d)(1), and include individuals who live, and businesses (including tax-exempt organizations) whose principal place of business is located, in the covered disaster area.

The tax code defines an affected taxpayer as:

(i) Any individual whose principal residence (for purposes of section 1033(h)(4)) is located in a covered disaster area;

(ii) Any business entity or sole proprietor whose principal place of business is located in a covered disaster area;

(iii) Any individual who is a relief worker affiliated with a recognized government or philanthropic organization and who is assisting in a covered disaster area;

(iv) Any individual whose principal residence (for purposes of section 1033(h)(4)), or any business entity or sole proprietor whose principal place of business is not located in a covered disaster area, but whose records necessary to meet a deadline for an act specified in paragraph (c) of this section are maintained in a covered disaster area;

(v) Any estate or trust that has tax records necessary to meet a deadline for an act specified in paragraph (c) of this section and that are maintained in a covered disaster area;

(vi) The spouse of an affected taxpayer, solely with regard to a joint return of the husband and wife; or

(vii) Any individual, business entity, or sole proprietorship not located in a covered disaster area, but whose records necessary to meet a deadline for an act specified in paragraph (c) of this section are located in the covered disaster area;

(viii) Any individual visiting the covered disaster area who was killed or injured as a result of the disaster; or

(ix) Any other person determined by the IRS to be affected by a federally declared disaster (within the meaning of section 1033(h)(3)).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies