turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Working remotely in a different state since March - where do I pay taxes?

My office is based out of New York City, but I left in mid-March due to COVID. I lived in MA for a bit, and then DC for a bit. For 2020, where do I owe taxes? Do I need to fill out state tax forms for all three states?

I also recently got married during the year, and my husband has been living in DC the whole year. Does filing jointly make sense if my income will be taxed in different states than his?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Working remotely in a different state since March - where do I pay taxes?

Yes, you need to file a tax return in each state where you physically worked as a part year resident.

As far as filing jointly, state law may dictate that and it may be easiest to file separately.  Most states allow you to file jointly even if both of you do not have the same residency status, however some state require that you file separately if your residency status is not the same. Click here for specific details by selecting each state. You will want to use the method that results in the lowest overall tax.

If you find that filing jointly is allowed for all states you must file, then you will be allowed a credit for taxes paid to other state for the amount of tax liability for each other state, on the DC return filed jointly with your husband. In your case it would be for MA and NY.  A credit for taxes paid to another state is the lower of the tax paid (liability) to the other state or the tax that would have been charged on the resident state (DC) return.

If you file separately, then there is no credit on either DC return.

See the example below where you would enter a credit on the DC return filed jointly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies