turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Work Location is California but I stay in Virginia.

@

My Work Location is California but I'm currently staying in Virginia due to remote work. May I know the tax situation in this case? Do I have to pay taxes in both states? If yes, is there a way to avoid this situation?

Thanks in advance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You will pay taxes to Virginia.  If California taxes are being deducted from your pay, then you will file a California return to have those taxes refunded to you.  

If you are not having Virginia taxes deducted, or are working as a 1099 employee, then look into paying estimated taxes to Virginia.

TomD8
Level 15

In what state is your domicile - your main, primary home?   If you're domiciled in CA,  you remain a CA resident for tax purposes during temporary absences, regardless of the length of the absence.

So if your domicile is in CA, and you are living in VA temporarily, then your income is taxable by both states, and you'd have to file a tax return in each of the two states.  In that situation, you'd be able to claim a credit on your VA return for the taxes paid to CA, so you wouldn't be double-taxed.  

But if your domicile is in VA, and you are a W-2 employee who works exclusively in VA, then your work income is taxable only by VA.  If that's your situation, you'd want your employer to withhold VA taxes only.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies