turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GabiU
Level 15

Why is my return still pending? (updated 3-16-21)

***Closing thread 3/16. 
Users are experiencing an accepted return with TurboTax and a pending status with the IRS. The IRS is doing its best to keep up with this year's circumstances. Please refer to the IRS Website: https://www.irs.gov/refunds for updates on your personalized situation. 

2-26 Update: Why is my return still pending (With TurboTax?) 
Earlier this tax season, many people noticed that their return was "pending" for more than the average 48 hours. This pending status meant we noticed an issue that may have caused your return to be rejected and did an extra review to assess the reason it was flagged, resolved it for you, or identified what you needed to do to ensure everything is accurate and your return is accepted.  

---the majority of users should have seen a rejected or accepted status since that time. 

New Mexico State, as of (2/26) is currently experiencing a backlog building up. This week, they are increasing the volume of returns retrieved, and expect to clear the pending backlog within the next few days.

If you are not filing with New Mexico and it's been 48 hours since you've submitted your return, please comment on this thread. 

Check out this FAQ: Why is my return still pending?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

355 Replies

I initially submitted my return electronically on 2/15/21.  I didn't include the IP PIN issued to me by the IRS because I wasn't prompted by Turbo Tax to enter it and at the time I didn't know where it was supposed to be entered.  My Federal return was rejected because the PIN had not been entered and therefore, the California state return was rejected because the Federal return had not been accepted.  I then resubmitted my return the same day with the IRS IP PIN.  The Federal return was subsequently accepted but the California State return has been pending since 2/15/21.

Filed California return on 02/13/2021

Still says "Pending"

Turbo Tax stated that California will usually accept within 24-48 hours....

Still nothing...  California says they have no record of the return being filed. 

axr6

Same here. Filed both the Fed and CA State return on Feb 12th. The Fed return was accepted on the 13th and the State return is still pending. It is impossible to reach a live person from TurboTax to explain what the problem is. I also called the State Tax Board and they are blaming TurboTax, saying that they do not have records of my filing. Terrible customer service from TurboTax!

I just received the notification from Intuit that my state tax return was rejected; "We've identified a potential issue in your California return due to an error in our software." I followed the instructions, checked the relevant parts of my federal return, then re-calculated and resubmitted my state return. We'll see what happens. 

I have also just received a message that my CA return had an error after submitting and waiting about 5 days. Looks like you guys at TurboTax have a common error. I hope I don't have to pay again to e-file...

Ya, please let us know if you have any luck! I'll be re-submitting mine when I get home.

@darkwing777 , I did not have to pay to e-file again. 

My Virginia Efile is still sitting at 'PENDING' since 2/15/21.  Seems multiple people in various states are having the same issue.

My Federal was accepted, and after 6 days, Turbotax sends me a message saying that my California return was rejected due to an error in the software.  The e-mail advises that I should open my return, and that

"Once you've opened your return in TurboTax, the details about what's causing the problem will be displayed."  

Nothing is displayed - there is no information as to how to fix the problem.  I went to my account with the CA Tax Board, and it just says the return has not been received.

I've generally had a decent experience with Turbotax, so it is concerning that they are not on top of these kind of errors.

According to her message, though not 100% clear, it appears that the returns didn't go directly to CA. Maybe they figured out the error already and kicked them back, so we could fix, and re-submit. They need to update their text message to say that TurbeTax rejected and not the state. 

Gabi,

I efiled thru my PC TurboTax Deluxe subscription (not online subscription) last week, I believe on 2/9/2021.

My understanding:

Federal not accepting until Friday 2/12/2021, and that states will not accept a return until Federal Return is filed and accepted.

Federal Accepted Sat, Feb 13, 12:09 AM

Idaho Accepted Feb 15, 2021, 4:26 PM (which I believe is approx. 64 hrs, 24 minutes after Federal accepted)I never received a notice of any delay or hiccups in the filing after 48 hr’s as you noted in your post.

California STILL PENDING.  (which now is right at about 137 hr’s after Federal accepted).

I’ve received no email or notice of any kid from TurboTax, but do certainly see MANY posts of issues with TurboTax CA return delays and ALL seem to be customers such as myself who efiled to TurboTax before the 2/12/2021 date that Federal returns would begin to be accepted.

This would be a contradiction to your statement posted here that Turbotax will be  sending me an email within 48 hours with confirmation that your return has been filed, or instructions for any additional steps that need to be taken to ensure an accurate return is filed, accepted.  At 137 hours now since Federal was accepted, this is more than twice the 48 hour mark indicated.  I purchase this program, AND this year purchased Audit Protection due to moving states, and medical deductions itemized.  But now I’m spending more time than I would making the return manually on paper. It would be great if we could receive a better answer.

I have opened my PC based Turbotax Deluxe numerous times since filing and have seen 2 CA state SW Updates to the software; no change in refund numbers – but CA STILL PENDING.

In this day and age you have all our email addresses and TurboTax should be more Proactive and email update us daily, so loyal customers are not spending their time, on top of money already spent for this program trying to find out why there is a delay / problem.

I’ve lost count the years I’ve been a customer.  I’d appreciate accurate reasoning on what to expect, and reasonable updates from TurboTax.

Thank you, MAC

Paul888
Returning Member

My 2020 New York State Return is still pending. I sent my Returns to TurboTax on Feb 1, 2021. I didn't know IRS was not opened until Feb 12, 2021. My Federal Tax Return was accepted by IRS on Feb 11, 2021, one day earlier. A week later, My NY State Return is still pending. I didn't receive any email to tell me what do I need to do next from Turbo Tax. Please Help...

I am from NY and it had been over 48 hours and no e-mail as to why it is still pending. Is there a problem with NY filings as well?  When can I expect to hear what the issue is?

GabiU
Level 15

@MAC61 @TakNYTaxes You've made valid points causing me to update the wording above. Thank you for your patience. 

@Stuart Please make sure your software is updated. Thanks for reporting back. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies