turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

why does it say i owe state taxes?

I never owe on my taxes but this year I believe it says I owe money and I'm trying to figure out why. I wanted to contact turbo tax directly but I guess I'll have to use the forum.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

No one else can see your tax return.   The usual reason for owing state tax is that you did not have enough tax withheld from your paychecks to cover your state tax liability.   Or did you receive unemployment without having tax withheld---some states tax unemployment.    Compare your printed 2019 and 2020 state returns line by line to see what is different.  And of course check all of the amounts of income and tax withheld that you entered from W-2's etc to make sure you entered it all correctly.   Pay special attention to anything you entered from boxes 16 and 17 of your W-2's.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Which state?  Some states changed their tax laws in 2020.  Also be sure to check your data entry for any typos.

I figured it out. I spent 2 hours trying to get to the "share file with agent" option. I have an agent fixing the issue finally.

It stated that I owed but I paid well over the amount so thank you all. It was such a pain but it has been situated. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies