turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I use direct debit to pay federal taxes? I'm owed a Colorado state refund.

I've seen some talk about this not being allowed with paper filing, but I can't find anywhere to set e-filing. I don't think I ever chose paper filing. I've seen some talk about states not allowing direct debit, but I don't owe any state taxes. I want to direct debit the federal taxes I owe.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Why can't I use direct debit to pay federal taxes? I'm owed a Colorado state refund.

@john-brown3562 THANK YOU for the screenshots!  I'll pass this straight on to the TurboTax Moderators.  

Were you ever notified that you'd be required to file by mail?  

I'll keep you posted on what I learn.  Meanwhile, here's a FAQ that explains why a return may not qualify for e-filing.  Do any of these situations pertain to yours?

When a tax return can't be e-filed no matter what you do 

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Go back through the FILE section of your TurboTax interview.  You'll need to select "E-file" when asked how you'd like to file your federal (and state) returns.  Unless there is something in your return that prohibits e-filing, you should be able to select that option.

But you are correct....you can't use direct debit to pay your federal tax due unless you e-file your return.  The TurboTax FAQ I'm linking below will explain further, and also give you another option to pay your federal taxes using Direct Pay.

What is direct debit and how does it work? 

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Thank you, Kat, but that option isn't available to me. What kinds of things prevent e-filing? I've done so for federal and Colorado in years past.

These are the screens I see as I move through the FILE section.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@john-brown3562 THANK YOU for the screenshots!  I'll pass this straight on to the TurboTax Moderators.  

Were you ever notified that you'd be required to file by mail?  

I'll keep you posted on what I learn.  Meanwhile, here's a FAQ that explains why a return may not qualify for e-filing.  Do any of these situations pertain to yours?

When a tax return can't be e-filed no matter what you do 

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@john-brown3562 One other possible solution:

Try clearing your browsing history, deleting cookies and emptying the cache on your computer.  This often helps in the strangest situations!  😉

How to clear your cache 

How do I delete cookies? 

I think you found the issue for me, Kat! One of the links you sent says that unfinalized forms can block e-filing, and the first screenshot I posted has a sentence about Federal forms being unfinalized!

I'll try clearing browser data, but I may just need to be patient.

Thanks for your help!

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@john-brown3562 YAY!  Yes, it's still early for many forms to be finalized.  The IRS isn't even opening tax season until February 12 this year.  Hope this takes care of the issue for you!

Added after original post:  And NOW I see the screenshot you cited saying some forms aren't finalized.  I "thought" I had read your screenshots fully, but clearly I didn't.  Sorry!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies