turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where should I send my 2019 Form 1040 (Not the X version, but the original version since I didn't file one) from the state of Illinois? Is Dep. of Treasury in Fresno CA?

I need an answer to the above question, I saw department of Treasury in Fresno CA as the filing location of the original document back in 2020. I'm not sure if that's still the location to file to in 2022.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
jtax
Level 10

Where should I send my 2019 Form 1040 (Not the X version, but the original version since I didn't file one) from the state of Illinois? Is Dep. of Treasury in Fresno CA?

If you have a notice from the IRS asking for the missing 2019 1040 you should send it to the address indicated in the notice. See 

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/filing-past-due-tax-returns

Otherwise I would mail to the address given here based on your current state of residence (not where you lived in 2019):

https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-addresses-for-taxpayers-and-tax-professionals-filing-form-1...

Send the return certified mail and get a postmark stamp at the post office. You do not need a return receipt. That receipt is your proof of filing. 

Be aware that the IRS paper return backlog is amazingly long. It wouldn't surprise me if it took them a year or two to process it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

If you are getting a refund:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Kansas City, MO 64999-0002

If you are enclosing a payment:

Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 931000
Louisville, KY  40293-1000

ILLINOIS - Where to File Addresses for Taxpayers and Tax Professionals

Thank you. I wanted to confirm that Fresno CA, the location to file during 2019, is not the right location to file to.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The addresses and link @ErnieS0 posted are for returns being sent in 2022.  The determining factor for where to send the returns is the year you are in when sending not the year of the tax return. 

@plumsters333 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies