Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GarySD
Returning Member

When will TurboTax 2022 for California be available?

For the desktop TurboTax 2022, when I click "Download Now" from the State purchase screen, a new window pops up saying, "Getting Your State..." and then it says "Your software is up to date," but the download didn't occur.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

It's way too early to download the state programs.  Just keep checking back.  Probably not until mid Dec or later.  

GarySD
Returning Member

Thank you for your response.  In past years, when trying to download the State version, TurboTax provided a message stating the date when the State version would be available.  On this year's State purchase page, it lists California under "Here are the states that you've downloaded" (as if I had previously downloaded California State).  Then reporting "Getting Your State..." and "Your software is up to date" are all indicators that the California State version was downloaded.  To try to clarify, I searched online to see a published date of when California State 2022 would be available, but I couldn't find anything.  I understand that it is early and most likely California State 2022 isn't yet available.  Does anyone know the date when it is planned to be available?

@GarySD 

In the past, TTX has used this page for you to find out if ANY of your state forms are available:

State forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products (intuit.com)

The main page indicates it's for 2021   but apparently that's a TYPO, because, if you drill down to the CA forms, they are showing 1/26/2023 for Most of the CA tax forms. 

They do seem to show 11/17/2022 for the CA "Information Worksheet"....but not sure what that means as that is not an actual CA tax form.

Mid-to-late January is typical for most state forms.....so don't expect them to show up any sooner. Occasionally they allow an earlier download, but those end up being filled with all the prior year forms until the official update date.   A few states are showing a late December date, but those are likely sates that made no changes to their state forms relative to last year's forms.

One year they had my NC forms to download earlier that the expected date, and some of my $$ showed up on the wrong lines because they just downloaded the prior year forms with the wrong line numbering for the new year.....and the state forms were thus "NoNsense" until after the official release.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
GarySD
Returning Member

Thank you for your informative response!  It's good information to learn when the current forms will be available, but I'm still wondering when the actual California state TurboTax product will be available.  Being able to enter the data and use the worksheets will still be helpful even if the current year's forms for filing aren't ready.

Other than the dates posted in the link I gave you

...no one in this forum will know for sure until it happens

........and actual TTX representatives you might maybe, eventually get hold of, will likely just use the states list I posted.  They won't really know either.

Stinks for some people.   Others of us know it's pretty useless until well into January.

Usually the prior year's desktop software (2021) is more useful for projecting the next year as long as the state hasn't made major changes in their taxes.   Unfortunately, the 2021 Federal forms are buggered up (for 2022 projection purposes) by all the unusual tax credits, unless one uses the "What If" worksheet.  The 2021 "What IF" worksheet works fairly well for projecting 2022 Federal taxes, but doesn't deal with state taxes.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
GarySD
Returning Member

Wow!  In using TurboTax for over 25 years, I didn't know that the "What-If Worksheet" existed!  I see this year's sheet even has a checkbox for "Check to use 2023 tax rates."  Typically,  when I'm done with my taxes, I copy my TurboTax file, rename it with "Next Year's Estimate" and then update the numbers using projections for the following year.  I usually update it periodically throughout the year until the next TurboTax year product is ready.  However, this results in double entry, once into the estimated year and once into the real software when available.   I'll just wait patiently.

I have same problem.  Trying to download 2022 CA tax software and you just go in circles. 

Says it is available and I paid for CA forms.  But when I click to download it makes me go to confirming my account .. duh. 

Why don't they just say it is not available ... and maybe when it can be expected. 

The desktop software was just recently released and it not fully functional with respect to several components.

State software has, in the past, typically been made available in January.

adam samuels
Returning Member

I can go through the entire download/signin process - and then the following appears:

California Available Soon

The state you selected isn't available yet. We expect to have California forms available

11/17/2022.  Select OK to continue, or Change State to choose a different state.

(I'm posting this on 11/22/2022)

adam samuels
Returning Member

Thank you so much! 🙂

May I ask why/when the app will be updated with this information? I've spent the past few days checking based on its message.

Certainly there's value in having these dates be updated online, too - there was nothing available in searching within Turbotax or online in general ??

@adam samuels - mistakes occur - let's move on.  

And for a couple of days, I thought I was "special" and I got hit by a unique "undocumented feature".  No such "luck" 😜. Thanks for posting.

adam samuels
Returning Member

Surprise! I was just able to download!! Got a "successfully downloaded state" message after updating the application. I expect the forms will continue to be updated as they become available....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies