Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Whats should be my filing status if i stayed in massachusetts for 20 days in 2020 and left to india after that. My family left to india on 2019 itself. am i a MA resident

I was working from home till june 2020 and got laid off due to covid. what would be my filing status for federal and state?  do i need to file it as a foreigner and non resident for MA
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Whats should be my filing status if i stayed in massachusetts for 20 days in 2020 and left to india after that. My family left to india on 2019 itself. am i a MA resident

If you are a US citizen you will file using form 1040. In the "My Info" section you will select that you lived in "Foreign/US possession" on 31 Dec and "No" you did not live in any other state in 2020. 

Then, if MA withheld taxes on your W2, you will need to file non-resident MA return to get that refunded.  In the "My Info" section scroll down to "Other State Income" and select MA.  This will generate the MA non-resident return.

If however, you are not a US citizen, but hold an alien immigration status then you did not meet the substantial presence test for Resident alien status and would file using a form 1040NR.  TurboTax does not support that form, however Sprintax can provide any assistance you might need for that form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If you are a US citizen or resident alien, then you should file a US tax return 1040. If you intend to return to Massachusetts and live there, then it is still your resident state and your should indicate that you were a full year resident.

If you do not intend to return to Massachusetts, you should still file as a full-year resident return, since you didn't move to another state in the US.

Thanks Thomas.

I am still in India will not come back to massachusetts but might come to some other state in future. I just stayed in massachusetts for just 20 days in Jan and my family left to india on 2019. Do i qualify under the substantial presence test since the condition says 31 days in current year and 1/3 in previous and 1/6 before that.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, but it didn't sound like you were in the states for 31 days in 2020 if I am reading this correctly.  It sounds like you were in the states for only 20 days.

yes i wasn't there for 31 days so i don't pass the substantial presence test. i think i should file as a non resident and choose foreign or us possession in the federal. Please correct me if i am wrong.

THanks for the help

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

If you are a US citizen you will file using form 1040. In the "My Info" section you will select that you lived in "Foreign/US possession" on 31 Dec and "No" you did not live in any other state in 2020. 

Then, if MA withheld taxes on your W2, you will need to file non-resident MA return to get that refunded.  In the "My Info" section scroll down to "Other State Income" and select MA.  This will generate the MA non-resident return.

If however, you are not a US citizen, but hold an alien immigration status then you did not meet the substantial presence test for Resident alien status and would file using a form 1040NR.  TurboTax does not support that form, however Sprintax can provide any assistance you might need for that form.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies