turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

YellowGelPen
Returning Member

What if my Arizona state tax returns are still pending by the deadline even if filed before the deadline?

I'm pretty sure it's based on filing date rather than acceptance date but because I can't find concise information pertaining to this on the Arizona Revenue Service's website, I'm asking here to be sure.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

What if my Arizona state tax returns are still pending by the deadline even if filed before the deadline?

Even if you filed your federal and state returns at the same time, your state may not start processing it at the same time as the IRS.

It's not unusual for state returns to remain in pending status several days after a federal return has been accepted. This is especially common when e-filing first opens in early February.

Sit tight and your state return will (eventually) move along in the queue.

If your return is pending, you should be fine. Your submitted e-filed return doesn't need to be accepted on May 17 for it to be considered on-time. As long as you transmitted your return by 11:59 p.m. local time on May 17 you should be fine.

If your return is rejected on May 17 you'll have through May 22 to re-submit your federal return by e-file, or mail your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Sometimes it does take a bit longer to process. 

Why is my state e-file still pending?

YellowGelPen
Returning Member

So I could still wind up as having filed late even though I e-filed it about an hour ago?

The issue we ran into was that our federal taxes had to have a specific number as our AGI that wasn't immediately apparent and we finally found the correct one today after a bit of hardcore googling. 

EDIT: Because our federal ran into roadblocks our state taxes wouldn't submit.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Even if you filed your federal and state returns at the same time, your state may not start processing it at the same time as the IRS.

It's not unusual for state returns to remain in pending status several days after a federal return has been accepted. This is especially common when e-filing first opens in early February.

Sit tight and your state return will (eventually) move along in the queue.

If your return is pending, you should be fine. Your submitted e-filed return doesn't need to be accepted on May 17 for it to be considered on-time. As long as you transmitted your return by 11:59 p.m. local time on May 17 you should be fine.

If your return is rejected on May 17 you'll have through May 22 to re-submit your federal return by e-file, or mail your return.

YellowGelPen
Returning Member

That's what I suspected, but the information on AZ Revenue Service's website was not particularly clear about acceptance/transmission dates. I ought to give them that feedback because I suspect that a lot of people have the same anxiety I have about it.

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies