turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I enter for total tax paid on resident state return if I'm applying all of my refund from non-resident to 2023 estimated taxes?

If I'm applying my entire Non-Resident State refund to 2023 Estimated Taxes, do I enter this entire amount for Total Taxes Paid to Non-Resident State on my Resident's State Tax Return?

There is a section under Double-Taxed Income that automatically has my Non-Resident State's net income, then there is the Total Taxes Paid to Non-Resident State (the automatic figure that comes up is an estimated tax figure based off of my 2022 taxes, but there's an empty box next to it allowing me to enter in a different amount).  Can I enter in my total refund amount that I'm applying to my 2023 estimated taxes?  The refund is more than what Turbo Tax calculates, but my non-resident state return states they will increase this amount to equal my refund amount, since I'm applying its entirety.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

What do I enter for total tax paid on resident state return if I'm applying all of my refund from non-resident to 2023 estimated taxes?

No, the refund you apply to next year will only count for Tax Year 2023, so that payment will come into play when you do your tax year 2023 returns next year. 

The Resident state return needs to know the tax liability from the Non-resident return. 

Example, you had 2,000 withheld, tax is 1250, so refund is 750.  You have the 750 refund applied to 2023. 

The resident state should credit you for the 1250 you paid to the non-resident state. 

You will worry about the 750 next year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How does TT come up with the amount that automatically shows under Total Tax Paid to (non-resident state) on my Resident State Return?  The amount shown calculates to be the difference between my 2021 refund that I applied to 2022 estimated taxes and my current 2022 refund.  And the credit I'm getting is that same amount (the difference).  

I don't have taxes withheld.  I've been applying my tax return refund to current year estimated taxes and I also pay GE excise taxes.  (I deduct the GE excise taxes from my gross income as part of my expenses.)

For example, my refund was 1000 in 2021 that I applied to 2022 estimated taxes.  My refund for 2022 is 800.  The amount that shows up is 200 under Total Tax Paid.  My credit for my resident state is showing up as 200.  Shouldn't the amount shown under Total Tax Paid to (non-resident state) be my previous year's refund amount then (1000)?  Please help......Thank you!

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

No, because the 800 was refunded so not a tax paid.  You only actually paid 200 to taxes in your scenario.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies