turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

goodweathr
Returning Member

Virginia State Taxes - Age Deduction Worksheet does not calculate correct deduction

I am married and using TurboTax on my Windows PC to file my Virginia State Taxes.  I chose the filing status of 'Married Filing Separately' on my return.  The Age Deduction Worksheet will not calculate the deduction correctly.

Since I am married, the worksheet should include both my income and my spouse's income on Lines 2, 4 and 6 and both my social security and my spouse's social security income on Line 7, but it does not.  It only list my income on those lines.  This is incorrect.  I can't override the amounts  the TurboTax program has entered on this worksheet.  How can I file my Virginia state taxes using TurboTax with this error?  When will this error be fixed?  Please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Virginia State Taxes - Age Deduction Worksheet does not calculate correct deduction

Which version of TurboTax are you using?   (online or CD/Download) 

I was unable to recreate your situation.  I entered income for both taxpayer and spouse, which appeared on lines 2, 4, and 6 of the VA Age Deduction Worksheeet.  Social Security income for both appeared on line 7.

You will be prompted to download updates when you open the program.  You can also update the program while you have it open by following these steps:

1. Click Online link in the black bar at the top of the page.
  2. Click Check for Updates.
  3. TurboTax will download and install any updates available.  If there aren't any updates, you will receive the message "Your software is up to date."
goodweathr
Returning Member

I spoke to an attorney at TurboTax yesterday (case number is [social security number removed]) who confirmed the error that I had found within TurboTax Deluxe.  She was able to view my Virginia State tax return within the program and agreed that the income lines are not being populated with the correct income amounts (both taxpayer and spouse) from the Federal tax return to the Age Deduction Worksheet in the Virginia State tax return within TurboTax Deluxe. 

This may programming bug could result in TurboTax users unknowingly reporting less income and taxes to the Virginia Department of Taxation than they should.   I would be happy to walk you through the specific details of this issue if you would like to reach out to me by email and/or phone.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @goodweathr 

I would like to submit this issue to our Product Quality team for further investigation. 

I do need your help. I need a Diagnostic Copy of your return. This is a copy of your return that is sanitized of any personal information including Names, SSNs, Addresses and other personal data. 

What I need is the Token # for your Diagnostic Copy. Here are the instructions to get that Token #.

TurboTax Desktop

1. Open your return in TurboTax Desktop
2. In the Top Left Corner Click the "Online" Drop Down
3. Click "Send Tax File to Agent"
4. Click "Send" and a Tax File will generate
5. You will receive a "Token #"

TurboTax Online

1. Login to TurboTax Online
2. Continue your Tax Return
3. On the left-hand side click the "Tax Tools" drop-down
4. Click "Tools"
5. Click the bottom bullet point labeled "Share my file with Agent"
6. You will receive a "Token #"

Thanks! 

goodweathr
Returning Member

I have sent a Diagnostic copy of my return to TurboTax from my desktop app, following your directions.  My token number is 594646.  Could you please let me know the results of their evaluation?  Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll work on that report now and reply back when I get updates. Thank you!

wall13
Returning Member

I discovered the same problem using TurboTax Deluxe installed from CD.  The Step by Step process does not prompt for spouses income required for the Virginia Age Deduction Worksheet when filing as Married Filing Separately, therefore the Age Deduction Worksheet calculates using the individual's income instead of both spouses.  However, if one goes to Forms view and inputs the spouses income in the Taxpayer/Spouse Allocation Worksheet, it will transfer the sum of income and social security/tier 1 for both spouses to the Age Deduction Worksheet for the proper calculation.  When both spouses are over 65 and filing separately, TurboTax Deluxe may be creating incorrect Virginia returns for those users who use the step by step process and do not review the forms closely.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies