turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

unable to e file

I e filed fed in in february.I am now trying to  E file my VA state  tax ,--- THe program keeps asking me to select

a FED file to e file . and will not let me e file state .  How do I get by this BLOCK??? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
maymoan
Returning Member

unable to e file

I filed my federal return a few days ago and I got a message it was accepted.

I tried to file my New York return today, but the software tells me to go back and select a Federal Return  to go with it. 

However, there does not seem to a means to do so.

When I go back, it does say that my Federal Return was filed.

How do I e file my NYS return?

Regards

BPL4
Level 1

unable to e file

I am having the same problem.  This is so frustrating.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

unable to e file

Although you can e-file your federal and state taxes together, if you choose to e-file your federal first, you'll have to wait until that return has been accepted before you can e-file your state.

Once your federal return has been accepted you should be able to e-file your state return. 

To e-file your return:

1. In TurboTax Online, sign in to your account.
  2. Select Tax Home in the left menu.
  3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
  4. Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right area).
  5. Select File in the left menu (expand your browser window if you don't see this, or select the menu icon in the top left corner).
  6. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
  7. Select the Start button to the right of Step 3.
  8. On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select I want to e-file.
  9. Follow the instructions to e-file your return.

@BPL4

@ejjernigan

@maymoan

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

unable to e file

Same problem here, for desktop version for NY. Another post lists a link where you can register to get notified of software updates, but apparently no solution yet.

unable to e file

Yes, if  you using the Desktop program.  There is a recent State Efile error in the Desktop program. Please sign up on this FAQ
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

Newdye63

unable to e file

I have received my fed refund after I e-filed in January.  I assume that means my federal return was accepted.  Still can't e-file my state return.

Please advise

bvc1
Returning Member

unable to e file

I filed my federal and it was accepted.  I'm not able to file state (WI).  I'm told to file Fed first which I did.  When I follow the instructions, I'm not seeing 2020 to add a state as you indicated, only 2019, 2018.

unable to e file

Are you in the right account?  It's common to end up with multiple accounts. First LOG OUT of whatever TurboTax account you're logged into right now. Then use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address. Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used
https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

If you used the Desktop CD/Download program then the only copy is on your computer and not saved or stored online.

unable to e file

e-filed my federal return days ago and now want to e-file state (ohio).  wont let me until i e-file fed return.  paid the state fee but no go.  how do i get past this block?

BPL4
Level 1

unable to e file

I just tried the option of running the review again, then sending the files.  It still didn't work.

bvc1
Returning Member

unable to e file

Did not work.  My files are loaded on the computer but I can't find my 2020 Fed file on Turbotax when I follow your instructions.  My Fed was accepted but the software does allow me to advance to state. The arrow at the top does not move to state, it stays at federal.  I've never had the happen before and I've been using Turbotax for a long time (20 + years).

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

unable to e file

This is a known issue that is scheduled to be resolved in a product update March 19, 2021.

Reference:  Why am I not able to e-file my state return after filing my Federal return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies