turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax wants an outrageous $250 state e-filiing fee!

Hi @macuser_22.  Thank you for your input.  As the screenshot in my original post shows, I did not hallucinate the $250 e-file fee; Turbotax actually demanded it.  The latest program update this morning seems to have made a change.  As I explained in my followup posts, now when I go to e-file my state return, Turbotax simply  refuses to e-file my state return because it seems to refuse to e-file my federal return.  I understand the $25 fee, and would like to pay it, but Turbotax does not give me a chance to pay it!

I have already sent these screenshots via private email, but it seems like I should post them for the community at large, as well.

This screenshot shows that my federal return has been accepted by the IRS:

Capture-0_LI.jpg

The following screenshot shows where I go to e-file my return.  I select the e-file for the federal return, because it is necessary for e-filing my state return.

Capture-1_LI.jpg

Now, I click on Continue, and I get the following screenshot:

Capture-2_LI.jpg

So, here I am where I select to e-file my state return.  All seems to be well so far.  Now I click on Continue.  You and I would expect getting to a page where Turbotax asks me for a filing fee.  This is where before today's update, it would ask me for the $250 fee to e-file my state return.  It no longer asks for any fee.  Instead, clicking on Continue takes me to the following screenshot:

Capture-3_LI.jpg

It seems like because I have already e-filed my federal return, Turbotax excludes e-filing my federal return again, but because it needs to e-file my federal return along with my state return, it complains about the exclusion of my federal return for e-filing.  Turbotax excludes it and then complains about excluding it!!!

As you see, it does not give me a chance to pay the $25 e-filing fee.

There have been a couple other users that can't efile state after federal was accepted using the Desktop program.  Something might be going on.  I hope they are looking into it.  

Your screenshot shows that the Federal has been "transmitted".    State cannot e-file unless the Federal has been "accepted" .   

You screen shot also shows a "Check e-file status".  Click that and see what the Federal status is.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you @VolvoGirl for your input.  Knowing that I am not alone feels like some sort of support! 🙂

I also hope they take this seriously and look into it.  Unfortunately, I was very disappointed to learn through private email from the Admin person who was in contact with me that they have not been able to reproduce the (not being able to e-file state after having e-filed federal) bug that I have reported.  Seems like they are saying, we don't know and we don't care, just go and deal with it! :(

The support phone number is a frustrating joke!  It is just a phone bot (a lousy one at that too) that never lets me talk to a real human person.   All it is programmed to do is to hear one of a few options it offers so that it can shove some canned material in your sms or email. 

That sounds like an one of the associated TurboTax status files on your computer did not get properly entered when Federal was filed an now TurboTax thinks Federal was not filed.   

I have not heard of anyone else that has had this problem.    It would probably take a programmer to solve, 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@macuser_22Didn't you see my first screenshot?  There Turbotax shows that my federal return has been ACCEPTED!

But, yes, I did notice that when it gets to the third screenshot, it says only that it has been transmitted.  So, indeed, this may be where the bug is.  I hope someone is paying attention to this clue.

@macuser_22I agree with you.  There is some inconsistency in what Turbotax has stored away in my return file.  On the one hand, it knows that my federal has been accepted (screenshot 1), but when it comes to e-file my state return (screenshot 3) it thinks that it has merely been transmitted.

This is clearly a Turbotax program bug.  Somebody better look into this.

Submitted this as a case @fa123 thank you for your patience. 

@TasnimH2 wrote:

Submitted this as a case @fa123 thank you for your patience. 

Thanks @TasnimH2 

@macuser_22  and @TasnimH2  Is there a list you can add this new one to?  There might be others I've seen.  If I find anymore where should I add them or I guess I can page TasnimH2?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/state-tax-efiling-without-the-federal/01/20... 

I am having the same issue.  My federal was not only transmitted, accepted and got my refund in a week.

exact same issue here. guess we have to wait for another tt update 

Add me to the list as well. I had filed my Federal on March 5th and it was accepted the same day.  I had to wait to file my NYS return as TT was updating forms. They sent the software update to the state software last night. When I go to E-file I get the same issue as in the screenshots.

I called support last night and they said this was the first report they had. I spent over an hour talking to them and they worked with higher-level IT, took screenshots of my issue. Said they would call me back today or email me back. All I have heard back so far are crickets. I see a lot of people posting in other support places.

I saw in another forum, someone posted this link to add your name to this issue for TT.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

Hello @fa123 

An article has been published regarding this issue, please check it out. Please sign up in email to receive updates about this issue. 

Why am I not able to e-file my state return after filing my Federal return?

We appreciate your patience

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies