turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax did not include my 2017 SD 100 schools income tax return when I filed with the State

What do I do now
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Turbo tax did not include my 2017 SD 100 schools income tax return when I filed with the State

At this point, you may actually find it easier to do an SD 100 return by hand, than in TT.  For the form, see https://www.tax.ohio.gov/portals/0/forms/ohio_individual/individual/2020/SDIT_SD100_Bundle.pdf

Or you can still file a 2017 return (state and/or school district) on the ODT web site: 

https://www.tax.ohio.gov/ohio_individual/individual/filefaster.aspx

TurboTax (TT) does not automatically prepare a School District return, you must initiate it.

At the screen, in the Ohio program, titled  "A few things before we wrap up your state taxes"
      scroll down to School District taxes. 
Or later at the screen  "Your 2017 Ohio Taxes are ready for us to check"
    -Click Other situations
    -Scroll down to School District taxes.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

At this point, you may actually find it easier to do an SD 100 return by hand, than in TT.  For the form, see https://www.tax.ohio.gov/portals/0/forms/ohio_individual/individual/2020/SDIT_SD100_Bundle.pdf

Or you can still file a 2017 return (state and/or school district) on the ODT web site: 

https://www.tax.ohio.gov/ohio_individual/individual/filefaster.aspx

TurboTax (TT) does not automatically prepare a School District return, you must initiate it.

At the screen, in the Ohio program, titled  "A few things before we wrap up your state taxes"
      scroll down to School District taxes. 
Or later at the screen  "Your 2017 Ohio Taxes are ready for us to check"
    -Click Other situations
    -Scroll down to School District taxes.

Yossarian

Then what good is turbotax. The SD100 is more work than fed and state combined!

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Just remember to prepare the Ohio SD-100 form while you are in your Ohio return.  To prepare an Ohio School District return:

1. In your OH return, continue to the screen A few things before we wrap up your state taxes.  
  2. Scroll down to the Ohio school district taxes section and click on the Start/Revisit box next to Ohio school district  taxes.
  3. The next screen, Let’s figure out if you need to file school district taxes, will help you determine if you need to file this return.  

NOTE:  If you forget to prepare the SD-100 and file your OH tax return without it, you can always go back into TurboTax, print out the SD-100, and mail it in.

@Yossarian

saysteeb

I forgot to include the 2020 SD 100 with my Ohio e-filing.  But not I can't find where to access it in order to print it out.  When I download the tax forms, the SD 100 isn't included there.  How can I get to it?  Or is it easier to print it from the Ohio site and mail it in?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

As stated by Irene2805 above, if you forget to prepare the SD-100 and file your OH tax return without it, you can always go back into TurboTax, print out the SD-100, and mail it in.

You can follow these steps to prepare an Ohio School District return:

1. In your Ohio return, continue to the screen A few things before we wrap up your state taxes.  
  2. Scroll down to the Ohio school district taxes section and click on the Start/Revisit box next to Ohio school district  taxes.
  3. The next screen, Let’s figure out if you need to file school district taxes, will help you determine if you need to file this return.  

If you are not able to access the screens because your return has already been e-filed, you can e-file through Online Services or use the PDF fillable SD-100 Form and mail in your form.

Before you start your SD-100, please enter your address in The Ohio School District Tax Finder. If your school district is listed at a 0% tax rate, you do not have to file a school district return and no further action is required. 

@saysteeb

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TraciBE

That a great question. I use Turbo Tax because I’m afraid to make a

mistake and don’t know what I don’t know. So know I owe taxes for 2 years for Ohio SD taxes. That’s ridiculous that I have to initiate it. How the hell am I supposed to know? unbelievable 

The question about filing a school district  tax return is part of the Ohio interview screens ... you must click on that section for the program to complete it.  Not all OH residents must file a SD return so that is why it is not automatic for everyone ... the user must complete the section to initiate the SD questions.  

Use the amendment program and complete the state return section again to find that question ... this way you will know what to look for in the future. 

Turbo Tax did not include my 2020 SD 100 school income tax return when my tax return was electronically sent to the State of Ohio.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Usually  the School District return  is e-filed with the state return, but there are exceptions. Read the Ohio "filing instructions" that TurboTax prepares, they will tell you if the SD100 was e-filed or if you were supposed to mail it.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies