Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT requesting drivers license for paper filing

I'm doing my mother-in-law's taxes. She's 92 and has no drivers license or state ID. TurboTax Desktop tells me that I'll have to do a paper filing, which is fine. I eFiled the Federal return, then went back into TurboTax to try to print the state return. However, after I select the state returns I want to print and file by mail, TT still insists on a drivers license or State ID, and won't let me get past the screen where it wants me to enter them. I've selected the "Do not have either a license or state ID button", but nothing happens when I press Continue. There's a highlighted line at the top saying, "You are required to enter a driver's license or state ID to e-file," even though I'm not e-filing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

This Turbo Tax FAQ will provide more information.

Why are you asking for my driver’s license or state ID?

How to switch from e-file to mail

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Nope. It's a bug. When I say I want to file by mail, it still insists on an ID and won't let me get past that screen. I talked to someone in tech support and she was able to observe it happening via screen sharing. Ultimately I had to go to the file menu and choose print, but that was the only way it would work.

One other bug. My mother-in-law had income in Alabama and Wisconsin. I had income in Wisconsin and Minnesota. TT wanted to file a Minnesota return even though my mother-in-law didn't have one. It was easy enough to not try to print a MN return, but TT should have known better.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies