turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT Delux efile for OR state not working due to update message

When trying to file my Oregon tax return using TurboTax Delux, I get a message saying "There is an update available for your version of TurboTax. Before you can file electronically, you'll need to get this update. To do this, go to the Online menu and select Check for Updates"

1. TT is updated completely, shows no new updates.

2. I restarted my computer.

3. I was getting this message when trying to submit both my federal and state at the same time. I deselected Federal and it e-filed correctly. Then I tired to e-file my state individually and got the above message, again, right after I e-filed my Federal Taxes

It looks like this is a bug that occurred last year. I need this fixed ASAP.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

You may not be able to e-file your state return until your state finalizes their 2019 tax forms. You can't e-file your state income tax return because TurboTax doesn't have the final forms. Please use the TurboTax FAQ below to find out the estimated date the forms may be finalized.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

TT does not state that the forms are not available (like it did for Federal Forms last week) and the Oregon DOR has the form I am trying to submit available on its website for use. Can not find any indication that the forms are still in development.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Some forms for Oregon are not supported. This Oregon Individual Forms Availability List shows all forms available now. However, not all forms are supported for e-file.

Please respond here if your form is listed as available under Print and E-File, but you are still getting the error.

I am filing Form 40N, Standard Non Resident form. Have used TT to e-file this for years and shows as available from the link you provided. This is the form I am getting the error message on. 

There are no other schedules or forms that need to be submitted with my 40N.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

I suggest clearing the cache and cookies, then reopen your program in Chrome. 

In Chrome:

1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More More.
  3. Click More tools and then Clear browsing data.
  4. At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, from only the Basics tab, select the Time Frame of at least 24 hours; preferably 7 days.
  5. Next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files," check the boxes.
  6. Click Clear data.

In Microsoft Edge: 

Delete cookies in Microsoft Edge

1. Open the new Microsoft Edge and then select Settings and more > Settings > Privacy and services.
  2. Under Clear browsing data, select Choose what to clear.
  3. Under Time range, choose a time range.
  4. Select Cookies and other site data, and then select Clear now.

@David G

This is the Desktop version that I installed from the CD. I do not believe clearing my browser cookies will help.

This is also happening to me in NY. All the forms I need to file are listed as available but it is still telling me I need to mail it in, right after telling me that NY requires me to efile if I use this program. 

ShelleyB

This is also happening to me in Ohio. I tried to just file Federal taxes and not state taxes and that didn't work. I called the TurboTax support and we tried a bunch of different things and nothing worked. I finally uninstalled and reinstalled and that didn't work either.  And, I paid the $20 to file my state electronically and I can't get that money back either. Not sure what to do.

LakeshaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are having problems updating the TurboTax Windows software, please see this TurboTax article, Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lori30

We are having the same problem with New York state tax return.  Federal worked.  Getting same error message that updates are required but when you check for updates, says all up to date.  

Same Problem for Mass non-resident.  I've been using Turbo Tax for years without an issue.  I can't file and I've already paid for the State Filing.

I can't believe intuit shipped a broken product. I paid money for this and I have tried all of the fixes on the forums for this issue. It still doesn't work. After 15+ years of using this product there will not be another. The answer from the help line is file by paper or wait for us to get to it. Come on. Lat year I had a glitch to they were able to get around.

I found that I had previous years versions of TT installed on my computer (2017, 2018) along with 2019. I uninstalled all versions of TT and reinstalled only 2019 and it fixed the issue. Figured this out in my own, support is lacking.

I already went from my notebook to my desktop which never has had turbotax on it. Just to make sure it wasn't a computer issue. Still did not work. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies