turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where can I find the NY form IT-112-R form in turbo tax (or how can I get the option to include this form)

Yes, you would use that number exactly as it appears on Line 24A like this

This figure is used as part of the complete calculation for the total amount paid to the other state  Line 23A

like this 

And finally Part 3, Line 34 application of credit will show up on your NY resident return,Line 40 pg. 3 IT 201  like this

Enjoy.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Where can I find the NY form IT-112-R form in turbo tax (or how can I get the option to include this form)

My token number is 1066842. 

I completed my non-resident state taxes first but for my NY return it says "IT-112-R (NJ): Tax Amount - TP should not be greater than the tax imposed by other state." 

I'm not sure how to fix this. The turbotax generated number for this box was 406. 

My token number is 1066842. 

I completed my non-resident state taxes first but for my NY return it says "IT-112-R (NJ): Tax Amount - TP should not be greater than the tax imposed by other state." 

I'm not sure how to fix this. The turbotax generated number for this box was 406. 

Thanks for your help! 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Credit for taxes paid to another state is allowed by a resident state when the same income is being taxed to another state.  Your resident state does not want you to pay tax twice on the same income. The credit that is allowed will be the lesser of:

1. the tax liability actually charged by the nonresident state, OR
  2. the tax liability that would have been charged by your resident state

If the state returns are prepared in the correct order (nonresident state first) your resident state will know the appropriate tax amount to credit you.  It is not determined by the state withholding by the employer.

You should clear your cache and cookies. It handles many issues that seem nonsensical on a regular basis. 

• Close your TurboTax return first.

Watch to be sure you are selecting 'all time' as example.  Do not use selections like 'last hour' for those browsers that give  you options.

Finally, double check the actual tax liability by the nonresident state, then review your resident state return to see if the correct amount is in place.

@christinasherpa 

DW971 W97

TOKEN NUMBER: 1074861

Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 8.48.41 PM.png

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Before we run your token number please make sure that you have tried all of the steps to clear your cache that @DianeW777 has detailed above.  Then check your non-resident return to see if the amount shown there - $235 - is the correct amount that you paid.  Then you may need to reduce it to the actual amount due from your resident state.  You're not allowed to create a negative.

@DW971 W97 

DW971 W97

Hey, Ive done everything above but still has the same error. I have no idea what else I have to do.

zoeyan95

Hello,

My Token is 1075603.

I am NY Resident and work in NJ, I also received an error that "TP should not be greater than the tax imposed by another state." 

I filed the NJ return first before NY one. I hv tried everything to fix and even called TurboTax hotline, still couldnt fix the issue. Could u pls tell me how to fix it? Thanks! 

JosephS1
Expert Alumni

To get to Form IT-112-R and fix your return for the New York credit of taxes paid to New Jersey, please follow the instructions below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on State on the left-hand side.
  3. Click Edit next to New York.
  4. On the page, You Just Finish Your New York Return, click Start or Update next to Credits and Other Taxes.
  5. On the page, Take a look at New York credits and taxes, click Start or Update next to Taxes Paid to Another State.
  6. Click Edit next to NJ.
  7. On the screen Enter New Jersey Information, enter total tax as per New Jersey return.
  8. Continue through your return.

This should correct your issue.

@zoeyan95 

I am getting the same message from IT-112-R (OR). 

My Token Number is 1079297. Can you help?

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Can you clarify if you have tried the steps provided by JosephS1 and are still having the issue?

@camelcarpenter 

ericjoe

Hi,

I have tried the steps listed by Joseph and cannot resolve the issue. My token is 1083387. Can you please advise? Thank you! 

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

The error occurs due to the entry in the IT-112-R (NJ) with the total withholding listed as the tax amount instead of just the NJ tax amount.  The total tax imposed by another state should be listed as the tax imposed, not the total withholding.  To fix this in TurboTax Desktop, follow these steps:

1. Click Forms in the right-hand corner
  2. Scroll down to IT-112-R (NJ)
  3. Scroll Down to 24b and enter the total tax imposed from your NJ return (should match line A of other State Tax Computation)
  4. Verify Line 24 has been updated to the correct figure

If you are using TurboTax online, follow the steps provided by JosephS1 above.  When you reach the tax screen, only enter the total tax, not the tax withholdings.  If you still have issues after following these steps, please respond to this link.

@ericjoe 

I tried clearning my cache however since I  have already filed my non-resident state return which is NJ in this case i dont know what to do anymore. Can you please look at my token number which is 1066842 and give me a number please. Thank you. 

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Thank you for providing your token.  After reviewing the file, the rejection is occurring for IT-112-R (NJ) because the amount listed on line 24a is listed as your adjusted gross income instead of the tax-imposed amount.  To correct in TurboTax, you will need to change line 24a to the tax imposed by NJ for $162.  This figure is listed on the worksheet section A.  Once the figure has been corrected, the rejection should be fixed.  

@christinasherpa 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies