turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does it mean I received a letter from the comptroller of MD asking if I filed my taxes? And if i did not to do anything but if i didn't contact them ?

It said we received your return and it is in the process of conducting a thorough review of your return information!! That the review is part of their normal process what does that mean ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies
Cindy0H

Does it mean I received a letter from the comptroller of MD asking if I filed my taxes? And if i did not to do anything but if i didn't contact them ?

You did nothing wrong. States periodically do checks on certain aspects of returns. You have been chosen by the state of Maryland. Read the instructions carefully and do what they ask.

Thank u cindyH!!! It didnt ask me to do anything though in the letter but i still didnt receive my return yet and its been a week now what does that mean??

Hello, I would like to know what happened in your situation? I received the same letter from MD. How long did it take to get your taxes back? Thanks

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

It is hard to ascertain how long a state takes in their review process. it would be helpful if they can post a timetable for these events but this is always done.it doesn't help to call either because none of the state employees will ever quote any kind of a timeline. It just keeps us all in the dark.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did u ever receive it because I filed almost two weeks ago got the same letter and haven't received it yet .

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

i doesn't mean you did anything wrong. States, such as MD,  periodically do checks on certain aspects of returns. You have been chosen by the state of Maryland. Read the instructions carefully and do what they ask, and wait patiently. 

When I check online it says that my return was processed on April 2 and I will not be receiving a refund but I will receive a letter in the mail but now I got a letter in the mail dated from April 1 and it says we received your return enter in the process of conducting a thorough review of your return information so just let her still stating that I could possibly get a return so I am really confused is the Internet correct or is this letter when I go by and what does exactly does it mean that they’re reviewing a thorough review of my return someone please help I’ve never had this happen before!!!

That last message came out very funny because I’m speaking into my text. I just wanna know if it’s possible to still receive a 

Refund because the online update said no but this letter that I received says that they’re doing a thorough review and then I could still receive my return within 45 days so I’m just a little confused and really need some guidance thank you

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

It seems that the Maryland state tax return is just under examination.  They will either allow your return or request more information.  

@Stardust734

The message means your return looks "fishy".

You could get a refund  a smaller refund or an adjustment that says you owe more money.

You'll have to wait until you are informed of the decision and respond accordingly.

Ok thank you. I’ve just never had this happen before so I was confused. It’s bad enough we are dealing with this national pandemic but now every time I turn around it’s something crazy going on with the taxes. Smh

User 689689
Returning Member

Hi @clavon2004 

Did this resolve for you on its own?

User 689689
Returning Member

@MaryK4 @DaveF1006 

I also received a letter from the comptroller of Maryland telling me they received my return and are working to thoroughly process it.

• I filled a 505NR in MD.

• I filed a California 540 as well, resident of CA, was already approved, and deposited into my bank account.

• My federal was already approved and deposited into my bank account. 
User 689689
Returning Member

Hi @keniawelch 

Did this resolve for you on its own?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies