turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State Return Rejected

You keep sending me emails that State is rejecting my efile.  I follow your directions to fix but I can't seem to get to anything to repair.  Return keeps telling me my return is fine and ready to file.  Seems my County of Residence is in error.  It is Kings County California.  HELP

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

State Return Rejected

If your return is being rejected for your county, it is important to note that the county name is case sensitive. The first letter of every word should be capitalized and you should only type the name of the county. For example, if you lived in Kings county, you would just write "Kings". 

You can get back to this screen to reenter the county in TurboTax by following the steps below:

1. Click on State on the left column. 
  2. Confirm that a resident return in the State of California is being filed. 
  3. Click continue.
  4. Answer the questions about your 2019 filing.
  5. On the next screen, titled Your Principal Residence, enter your county of residence.

Once the California county is reentered as outlined above, you can continue to refile your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
meadowssa

State Return Rejected

Hello,

The 2020 CA return uses a dropdown menu. You cannot type it in. I chose Los Angeles county, which I live it, but the state rejected it because of a spelling / capitalization issue. It looks fine on the software but when I print it, it comes out LOS ANGELES (all caps). Since I cannot change the dropdown menu or the software, I believe this is a software issue with Turbotax. 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

State Return Rejected

This issue has been resolved, please clear your cache and delete your cookies before resubmitting your return.

Here are two articles that will show you how to clear the cache and delete cookies. 

How to clear your cache - Community 

How do I delete cookies? - Community 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
allenlweeks
Returning Member

State Return Rejected

I want to efile

State Return Rejected

My ILLINOIS state return was rejected due to the AIG not matching last year.   This data was accurate that I was entering.  I don't have the code , but it starts with IL-1040 then 4 more number.    Here is what you can do.   Get your PIN online.   MyTax Illinois     They tell you this is mailed to you, well, I never saw anything like this.    Just go online, get the 8 digit pin.   When you are refiling, do not fill in your AIG from last year, instead click the box on the bottom that says something like I don't have my aig or i want to file differently, going off of memory here.     It will pop up a box that can enter either you pin or DL #,...you can only enter one.   I entered the pin, then finished refiling and it was approved in less than 8 hours.         Hopefully this helps my fellow Illinois folks!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies