Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CantF

State of CA form 540 requiring Excess SDI amount but my W-2 does not have an amount

I am trying to e-file and it wants me to correct this " Form 540: Excessive SDI- To electronically file this return, you ,must enter W-2 information (including California withholding and SDI withheld) directly on the Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statements included in the Federal program.  My W-2 is for $1.39 and it does not have any amount for CA SDI.  How can I fix it?  I am in the transmit stage and have already been charged $19.99.  HELP

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

State of CA form 540 requiring Excess SDI amount but my W-2 does not have an amount

Try to enter 0 in the W2 Box 14 with CASDI as the description.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same issue. Entering zero in box 14 did not solve the problem. Any other suggestions?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Try this.  Go back to the W2 entries and delete all box 14 entries and be sure to hit delete/backspace several extra times to ensure there are not stray spaces.  They should all be blank. Finish the interview and try the review and file interview again.

dmcguerty

At the 1-yard line of filing both Federal and State, now Turbo Tax Asking me for CA Form 540 Excess SDI. I enter it right there on the form it presents, then it says "Filing....", but then comes back and says it needs a little more info and again asks me for the CA Form 540 SDI all over and over and over and over....

THIS IS TORTURE.

And of course, good luck trying to get someone from TurboTax on the phone. They clearly are not customer-friendly and the "Bot" is dumber than a 4-year old.

go back to the beginning of the federal income section try deleing the ENTIRE item for that W-2 ... or even all of the W-2's;

then re-enter all data again, carefully. don't touch any boxes which have 0's or blanks.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@dmcguerty

If you have not been able to make this work, I would delete the W-2 and re-add it by hand. Don't import the W-2.

Cesar Trujillo
Returning Member

I was charge for state e-file but when I was trying to file it tells me that I have a error Form 540 Excess SDI, the W2 form does not have anything on box 14. I have already try to put 0 and CASDI in the description but still giving me the same error an unable to efile. How can I get a refund my 20 dollars I was charge. . I will file by mail the State taxes since your program does not accept this kind of error,

VR, 

Cesar A Trujillo

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@Cesar Trujillo  Try Deleting your W-2 in your Federal return and re-entering it manually.

Type 'w2' in the Search area, then click on 'Jump to w2'.

Click this link for info on How to Manually Enter a W-2

Already tried that . It does not work.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Excess CA SDI is if you had more than 1 employer and all together they took out more than the max of $960.68. Then you get the excess back on your California return as a refund. Total your SDI withholding on your W-2's (Box 14) and deduct the maximum of $960.68. The remainder would be your excess SDI amount in question.  

@wfpusch

@Cesar Trujillo

Thank you. I figured it out.  It doesn't help me for Federal because of 10,000 rule.  I only work part time and the amount I paid into SDI is very small on my State Taxes. 

Thanks for your help.  Walt

JCM_tax

I am having the exact same issue.  I have already e-filed my federal return.  I have paid my $26.99 for my California state e-return.  Now I can't e-return.  I am getting to the final page and it gives me the "form 540 excess sdi".  Is there a way to bypass this message.  My employer charged me $1.69 more than the allowed amount.  I don't care about the $1.69.  But Turbo tax won't let me continue

I think this is a coding error in TurboTax 2020 ! 

On our paystubs and W2 no CASDI was taken out of pay or recorded on the W2. Hence zero excess CASDI. Box 14 on the W2 is blank.

Just delete the 0. from the TurboTax question box that pops up (make it blank), and the State return will go through !

scott_tt

I had the same issue for 2021 tax report. My solution is to remove the "0." from Excess SDI. It worked after that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies