turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where is California Form 3805v ? Why isn't this blank form, at least, included? And why, oh why, doesn't TurboTax notify the user about filing this form???

I have a net operating loss to carryover in California.  TurboTax does NOT provide the proper form -- 3805v -- for this, and does not alert the user to the need to file this form.  ???  So if you are using TurboTax and thinking you are filing a complete return for California, guess again -- you could be losing thousands of dollars down the road in taxes that could be offset by past net operating losses that you didn't report because TurboTax doesn't include this form OR even suggest you investigate it!!!

Where is this form in TurboTax?  Where does the product discuss its filing???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Where is California Form 3805v ? Why isn't this blank form, at least, included? And why, oh why, doesn't TurboTax notify the user about filing this form???

See below for the input screen to enter your CA NOL.

You are correct.  Turbotax does not support Form 3805V.  You have several options:

(1) Go to a tax professional who has professional software that supports Form 3805V.

(2) Try to find a retail tax program that supports Form 3805V.  (I don't think there are any, but I could be wrong).

(3) Fill out Form 3805V yourself, modify Schedule CA, Line 21 to include the NOL (you may need to override in Turbotax), but print and mail your Form 540, and include Form 3805V in the mailed return.  Unfortunately, I found Form 3805V to be very confusing to fill out manually, although that is what I did

Hi, TurboTaxCherylW-  I don't think this is the correct answer to my question.  I have seen this screen; isn't it ASKING for my 3805V figure?  The issue is that TurboTax itself neither calculates this California NOL nor even provides the 3805V form.  This is the only reference to 3805V that I have found; it is not exactly a direct instruction or reference or explanation!  When I first started using TurboTax for California state taxes in 2012, and following TurboTax step-by-step, TurboTax did not alert me or suggest to me a need to file a 3805V -- despite TurboTax "knowing" I had negative income in California.  When I stumbled upon the need outside of TurboTax, I had to amend my return.  Five years later:  still nothing in TurboTax California save this one unhelpful screen that depends on the user identifying the need & calculating the figure.

Or have I missed something else in TurboTax?  Why isn't this, by now, addressed clearly for the Step-by-Step User?  Seems like an awfully big oversight.  Again, I was relying on TurboTax.  If I hadn't discovered this oversight by chance, I would lose tens of thousands of dollars in future savings against California income taxes.  I think TurboTax ought to at the very least explain this and at least include a blank 3805V !!!

Please correct any error in my analysis here or any oversight in the product's features that addresses 3805V.

VishQ

Hello 

I will appreciate if you can show me the input screen to enter CA NOL. TT does not provide 3805V. How do I add it to the tax return

So i stumbled across the input form but to enter the NOL on Sch CA 540 Other Income Line D go to California State -> Income and Adjustments -> & its the line that says Disaster and Net Operating Loss Carryover select start. 

edfield
Returning Member

thanks, I understand now how to complete form 3805 (from the ftb website), but schedule CA, line 21 is now "Tuition and Fees".  So perhaps its been changed.

Besides including form 3805V in my amended return, are there any other changes I need to make to 540 or any of the schedules?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies