turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SD1
Level 2

"Remove These Wages for each state wage line that is a duplicate". Live in NJ, work in NY

Hello - I live in NJ and work in NY. I completed my non-resident NY return and now doing my NJ resident return. My W2 has 2 states in Box 15 (NY & NJ) and 2 wages in Box 16 (1 for NY which is my full wage, and 1 for NJ which is 46% of the full wage).

I know I check the "Remove These Wages" box for NY since that is income in NY, not NJ. What about the checkbox for NJ? I have no idea why 46% is getting taxed in NJ. None of that income from that W2 was earned in NJ ... it's all NY income. In this case, wouldn't I check "Remove These Wages" for NJ as well since 46% of the NY income was NOT earned in NJ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

"Remove These Wages for each state wage line that is a duplicate". Live in NJ, work in NY

Assuming you were a full-year resident of NJ, your NJ Box 16 amount should not be 46% of your total wages, but I suggest you start by asking your employer's payroll department to explain.

As an NJ resident, all of your income is reportable on your NJ return, regardless of its source.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies