turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Puerto Rico Tax

My employer gave me a 499-R/W-2PR and a US W-2 for the same taxable income earned in Puerto Rico as a non-resident. 

How do I file my 1040 so that the IRS does not double tax the wages on both forms since reported twice.  OR is the 499-R and US W-2 incorrect? 

I understand I first file a PR tax return and then on the US return I file for a foreign tax credit for taxes paid to Puerto Rico.   But last time this happened the IRS sent me a notice that doubled my income and came looking for more US taxes.  Thank you  @DanielV01 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

Puerto Rico Tax

If the income on the 499-R and the W-2 is the same income but reported on both forms you do not enter the 499-R on the U.S Form 1040. Doing that you would be doubling the amount of income.

If you are a Bona Fide resident of Puerto Rico per the  Bona Fide Residence Test you can exclude income under the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion provision in the tax law.

If you are not a Bona Fide resident of Puerto Rico you can take the Foreign Tax Credit

Also see this article.  Posting a 499r.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Puerto Rico Tax

Everything you said is correct.  The only adjustment I would make is in how you file the Federal W-2.  To enter Foreign Earned Income -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income
  • On Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion, click on the start or update button

Also see this article.  Posting a 499r

Puerto Rico Tax

Will the IRS look at the 499-R as income and also the US W-2 as income and double tax me?    Do I not report the 499-R income on the US 1040 return and only include the US W-2 income as foreign income? Thank you,

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

Puerto Rico Tax

If the income on the 499-R and the W-2 is the same income but reported on both forms you do not enter the 499-R on the U.S Form 1040. Doing that you would be doubling the amount of income.

If you are a Bona Fide resident of Puerto Rico per the  Bona Fide Residence Test you can exclude income under the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion provision in the tax law.

If you are not a Bona Fide resident of Puerto Rico you can take the Foreign Tax Credit

Also see this article.  Posting a 499r.

Puerto Rico Tax

I am from Kentucky and retig to file Turbotax Deluxe.  Not from PR but am from KY.  TurboTax Deluxe Smart Check keeps kicing out errors dealing with PR residency.  Can you fix this bug please?  I have lost the better part of a day attempting to file a short form!!  [email address removed].  [phone number removed].  Please send notice once BUG is fixed.

Sam Bitter.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Puerto Rico Tax

You are posting on an older thread. Can you please clarify what you are trying to do?

You may want to try and go back into the Personal Info section of TurboTax and confirm that you didn't select foreign or US possession under the state section. 

@SamBitter

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies