Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Non resident state return

I own rental property in NC and am a resident of GA.  Each year, TT Deluxe (CD) completes my GA return before I purchase and download the NC return.  Yes, I answer the question that I do owe taxes to NC on the Personal Info section.   Just noticed that several posts indicate to complete the non-resident state first - if that is accurate, why does my TT automatically complete GA first? It's done that for several years and just became aware from posts that non-resident return should be prepared first.

Guidance please?  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, it is true that the nonresident tax return should be completed first.

TurboTax would have completed Georgia first if that was the only one downloaded, even if you disclosed that there was other income from North Carolina. 

It would be best to delete Georgia and download North Carolina first. Then, re-add Georgia. During the state interview, start with North Carolina details. But, since your income from North Carolina is exclusive to the rental properties, it could be less essential for you than when people are part-year residents or living in one state and working in another.

For more information, see: How do I file a nonresident state return?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, it is true that the nonresident tax return should be completed first.

TurboTax would have completed Georgia first if that was the only one downloaded, even if you disclosed that there was other income from North Carolina. 

It would be best to delete Georgia and download North Carolina first. Then, re-add Georgia. During the state interview, start with North Carolina details. But, since your income from North Carolina is exclusive to the rental properties, it could be less essential for you than when people are part-year residents or living in one state and working in another.

For more information, see: How do I file a nonresident state return?

Thanks very much!  Appreciate the quick response.  The CD I purchased came with the Fed and one State so it automatically has Georgia in the State tab.  I haven't started the state yet since waiting for additional info.  Stay safe and thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies