Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-File in NYS withTurboTax Premier

Is there an additional cost to e-file in New York State when using TurboTax Premier?  The sales description is not super clear and I have read that NYS has mandated access to e-file at no additional cost.  Thanks for your help! I'm just trying to understand what it will cost to do my taxes. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No, there is no additional cost to e-file your state of NY return when using TurboTax Premier desktop version or the online version. However, all other states will have an e-file fee when using desktop software. 

If you are in the CD/Download desktop version, go here https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/deluxe.jsp and click on Federal and state under the price. That opens a pop-up box that will have "E-file fees do not apply to New York state returns." at the very bottom. 

View solution in original post

16 Replies

No, there is no additional cost to e-file your state of NY return when using TurboTax Premier desktop version or the online version. However, all other states will have an e-file fee when using desktop software. 

If you are in the CD/Download desktop version, go here https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/deluxe.jsp and click on Federal and state under the price. That opens a pop-up box that will have "E-file fees do not apply to New York state returns." at the very bottom. 

Thanks for the quick and helpful response!  Have a great day.

You are welcome! And you have a great one as well!

Is there a New York State e-file fee for the deluxe version?

@wrangler18 wrote:

Is there a New York State e-file fee for the deluxe version?

There are no e-file fees when using the TurboTax online editions, federal or state.  The TurboTax online account fee are for the use of the software to assist in completing a tax return.  The fees are the same whether the tax return is e-filed or printed for mailing.

I'm using the deluxe desktop edition, not the deluxe online version.

@wrangler18 wrote:

I'm using the deluxe desktop edition, not the deluxe online version.

Using the TurboTax desktop editions there is not an e-file fee for a New York state income tax return.

scheng01

Why I can not select to e filing NY State tax only? My TurboTax version did not show the option to select

e filing NY State tax ?

scheng01

I completed Fed, NY & NJ tax returns,  I want to select NY State e filing only, but TurboTax did not provide the 

option.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@scheng01  Which program are you using?  Why do you not wish to e-file your NJ tax return also?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
molemod

does the free efile for NYS still apply for the tax year 2021?

Is this because NYS has the efile mandate for all tax preparers?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will not be charged to efile your NYS return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello,

If I purchase the Premier MAC download version from Costco will I be able to complete BOTH Federal and NEW YORK state Efile for Free?  For all 4 Family members?

It says it comes with 1 free state but on this thread it says no charge for NY state. Could someone help me clarify please? 

Thank you,

@wcm13 wrote:

Hello,

If I purchase the Premier MAC download version from Costco will I be able to complete BOTH Federal and NEW YORK state Efile for Free?  For all 4 Family members?

It says it comes with 1 free state but on this thread it says no charge for NY state. Could someone help me clarify please? 

Thank you,

Correct, there is not a state e-file fee for a New York state income tax return when using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions.  There are also 5 free federal e-files included with the desktop program.  Once the 5 e-files have been used then any further federal and state tax returns have to be printed and mailed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies