Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 14 y/o daughter has interest income from a CD in 2020 (over $1,100). Should I claim it on my return, or should I complete a separate return for her?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

My 14 y/o daughter has interest income from a CD in 2020 (over $1,100). Should I claim it on my return, or should I complete a separate return for her?

Maybe.  The TurboTax program will ask you a series of questions to determine if her income needs to be reported on a tax return.

Dependents with unearned income, such as interest, dividends or capital gains, generally have to file their own tax return if the income is over $1,100 for 2020. 

A parent can elect to claim the child's unearned income on the parent's return if certain criteria are met. Generally, the unearned income over the annual threshold ($2,200 in 2020) is taxed at the parent tax rate.

Please see TurboTax Help article Do I need to report my child's 1099-INT on my 2020 return? for guidance.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Claim it on your return, since it's only interest.  

If his/her only income is from interest and dividends, Alaska PFD or capital gains distributions shown on a 1099-DIV, there is a provision for entering it on your return, using form 8814. Enter at Less common income / Child's income.

Using Form 8814 may even  benefit a few parents who are not getting the full Child Tax Credit, as the credit will offset the total tax amount, including the child’s portion of the tax.

But, it may be  best for him to file a separate return, if he has  qualified dividends and capital gain distributions which could be taxed at a higher rate on the parent's return. 

John, thank you so much for your reply!

@JohnW152 @Thank you so much! This was very helpful. 

@Hal_Al @Thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies