turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smaurer62

Moved during 2020

My step-son moved from NJ to PA during 2020, but worked in PA the entire year. His W-2 is showing part of his wages and state income tax going to PA and part of his wages and state income tax going to NJ. How do I file his State taxes? Do I need to do part-year and non-resident forms for each state, or do I just do a regular state return for each showing only the income listed on his W-2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Moved during 2020

Deleted

TomD8
Level 15

Moved during 2020

PA will not give a credit for taxes paid to reciprocal states such as NJ.  Instead, the taxpayer should enter his entire full-year NJ withholding amount on his part-year resident NJ return.  NJ will then refund the excess withholding.

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/PAPersonalIncomeTaxGuide/Pages/Deductions-and-Credit....

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Moved during 2020

@TomD8  Does reciprocity still apply in the case of part year residents?  I know it doesn't in the case of Ohio and it's neighbors (including PA), but I don't know about PA-NJ.

TomD8
Level 15

Moved during 2020

In its tax publication that I referenced previously, PA clearly states it will not grant a credit for taxes paid to reciprocal states.  

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Moved during 2020

I've deleted my previous answer.

@TomD8  Are you able to instruct poster on how to file his part year returns for both state?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies