Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Missouri State E-filing and online pay

Intuit is NOT at fault here.  The state of MO has (for at least 3 years now) conflicting information in the state's software.  If you are patient enough (it's long) to read through this thread, electronic payments scheduled via the TurboTax software were ALL debited, though most were later than scheduled.  Again, if you have your TT Summary page indicating that you scheduled a direct debit prior to the deadline, you're good.  Use the payment voucher if you prefer to pay by mail.

I can't believe this is still a "thing" with MO.  Sigh.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

I have the exact same senario in 2023 return for MO. 

Submitted electronically, paid from owed amount from bank, paid $25 with credit card, submitted. 

asked me to print forms below, all that is there is a voucher showing my summary and what I owe. 

Am I really meant to send that in it’s own?

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@Rorkswisher If you have successfully scheduled a payment by direct debit to the state of MO, you do not need to send in additional $ using the voucher.  If you read through this thread, you'll see that everyone who has scheduled a direct debit payment has successfully paid the monies due.  To send in the voucher with $ would end up in a duplicate payment to MO.  

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Many thanks. 

so do I still send in voucher without a check?

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@Rorkswisher No need to send anything.  You've scheduled your payment due, and you're finished!

Yes, it is hilarious that this is still an issue.  But I am laughingly glad this comes up still, so that as I am about to submit and I see the message that says "you have to print and send this document or your return is not complete", I can just say NOPE. Already paid. 😉

greasegun

This problem is years old and TT is still yet to fix it.  They charged me $64 this year to file my state taxes then sent me on a several hour long wild goose chase trying to find out if I still needed to mail in the voucher.  Im done with TT after this.  My local accountant doesnt charge this much to do a simple federal and state return ($133 total this year) and he wont leave me confused when its done.  What a joke.  

Just be patient, for Missouri it takes 3-4 day after payment date for the transaction to show up on your bank account.  I've seen this many times with my estimated and MO-1040 payments.

OK, the money was withdrawn from my account, so ignoring the Intuit instructions worked. The Intuit problem is that they are creating confusion. All it would take would be a notice that says that the voucher and payment MAY need to be made mailed IF the bank transfer does not happen. Currently, the indication given to me was that the form and payment MUST be made. That in my opinion is a software failure after paying for the fees to Intuit to get the state return filed and the money transfer done. If I followed Intuit instructions, I would have paid MO twice, and I suspect getting that straightened out with the state would take all eternity.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

We had a rough start to the tax season with a few states that were not ready for bank debit so the program had to give the payment voucher. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bailorg

So, I get that Missouri has been taking 4+ days after the requested date to actually process electronic payments, but I also see people mentioning seeing electronic payment information on their returns.

I am not seeing this information on either my 2023 returns or on the TurboTax homepage. My homepage just shows that my returns were accepted and the amount due to both for the Federal return and the Missouri return. The IRS deducted the Federal amount owed within 24 hours.

As far as I can tell, my Missouri return doesn't explicitly mention that I've filed allowing electronic payment. Am I missing something? Where on my return should I be looking?

Additionally, where on the TurboTax homepage is the confirmation that I chose electronic payments for both the IRS and Missouri?   

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Look at your MO filing instructions. They will either say direct debit or pay by check.

@bailorg 

For my 2023 filing, I watched my bank account for when Missouri pulled the money. It took about 2 weeks from my date of filing. I never sent them a check or the voucher. Cannot imagine the nightmare that would be to straighten out if I paid twice.  I'm trusting that the payment and return will link up at the Missouri Department of Revenue.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The state pulled the money after the initial processing of the return so you are in good shape.

@B1TaxedToMuch 

stljibaro

i believe TurboTax should be held liable for the Direct Debit inconvenience even if the issue may rest with the Missouri department of revenue... they just charge me $200+ for late payment... when i e-filed i selected in TurboTax for the direct debit to take place on April 12, 2024... April 15, 2024 came and went with no debit to my checking account... today April 16, 2024 the MO DOR lady i talked to on the phone had no idea why the debit had not occurred and recommended i pay again on-line... the extra payment should be refunded (i hope so)... if it takes a week for Missouri to debit and account then TurboTax should indicate so to keep its customers from having to pay late payment fees.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies