Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"Missing Documentation" -- Turbotax Attachment(s) NOT received by State's Tax Authorities

Hi,

I moved to a new state this year, and had to file two state returns.  Yesterday I received a letter from state #2 (VA) saying that my VA return was "missing documentation,"specifically that the "copy of the other state's tax return was not received for Credit for Tax Paid to Another State."

According to the pdf Intuit provided, it was there, but when I called VA's Department of Taxation they said the return and forms came through, but the attachment did not.  I was asked to send it in for their review.

I know it's probably only a server side issue, but it's frustrating to pay for this service only to have to do it myself.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

"Missing Documentation" -- Turbotax Attachment(s) NOT received by State's Tax Authorities

editfish,

I sympathize with you. It is unfortunate that the e-file wasn't fully complete.  I will try to raise the issue in the expert forum.  At least (a) TurboTax did calculate the correct amounts on your tax forms and (b) the delay in getting the extra documentation to VA is not resulting in any penalty.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

editfish,

I sympathize with you. It is unfortunate that the e-file wasn't fully complete.  I will try to raise the issue in the expert forum.  At least (a) TurboTax did calculate the correct amounts on your tax forms and (b) the delay in getting the extra documentation to VA is not resulting in any penalty.

hbl3973,

That's true, and it would have been far more frustrating had that not been the case. 

Either way, it's a minor bug that hopefully can be corrected.

Tralynn8

I received the exact same letter. How did you resolve jt?

Tralynn8,

I've been away from taxes for the last few weeks, volunteering at ustrive.com helping a handful of high school students work their way through the college application process.

Anyhow, to answer your question, go back to the PDF of your return, print out the portion that the state seems to have not gotten, and mail it to them via the US Postal Service.  You should include a copy of the letter you received. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies