Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Massachusetts State Return

I'm using the Turbo Tax Deluxe software.

I've entered two items to my post. Its the 2nd one that I'm confused about. How would I know if this amount needed to be adjusted? Or do I enter the $18,631 into the box: Non-taxable Massachusetts pension or do I leave it blank? MASS RETURN 1.PNGMASS RETURN 2.PNG

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends on the type of retirement distribution you have for how to answer the question. If you do not have a tax-exempt pension as described on page 10 shown below, then see page 20 and page 21 for further guidance and worksheets.

Please see 2019 Massachusetts Form 1 Instructions: page 10:

@anthony340

After reading what you sent me. I'm still not understanding it.  My Statement of Annuity Paid ( Form CSA 1099-R) does not withhold state tax. When I entered that amount of $18, 631in the box: Non-Taxable Massachusetts Pensions  it shows a refund for me of $1130.00. But if I leave it blank the refund shows less. I'm guessing that I should  leave that box blank. With that amount filled in it indicates that I will not be eligible to electronically file my Mass state return. 

That refund I mentioned is my Mass refund.

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Certain types of pension funds are not taxable in the State of  Massachusetts.  If your pension is any one of these, it is non-taxable in the State of Massachusetts.  Otherwise your will pension/retirement will be taxable to you.

According to the State of Massachusetts instructions these pensions are non-taxable:

• Pension income received from a contributory annuity, pension, endowment or retirement fund of the U.S. Government or the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and its political subdivisions.
  • Pensions from other states or its political subdivisions which do not tax such income from Massachusetts or its political subdivisions may be eligible to be deducted from Massachusetts taxable income.
  • Noncontributory pension income or survivorship benefits received from the U.S. uniformed services (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, commissioned corps of the Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) are exempt from taxation in Massachusetts.
  • Massachusetts state court judges who were appointed on or after January 2, 1975 are participants in the Massachusetts contributory retirement system and their pensions are nontaxable.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies