turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mddv
Level 1

Ln 5-Fed SS benefits amt

Schedule CA : Ln 5-Fed SS benefits amt

keeps asking for amount. 

but can not enter amount

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Ln 5-Fed SS benefits amt

I'm having the same exact problem. Does anyone know how to fix this?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Ln 5-Fed SS benefits amt

I assume that you are receiving this message while you are in the California Review, right?

Is it possible that you started the California return before you entered your SSA-1099?

Normally, when a state review asking you to fill in something that was on the federal return, you go back to the federal return to enter it.

If this is the case, please go back to the federal return, enter the SSA-1099, and then return to the state return and start from the beginning.

If you are returned to the middle of the California interview, then complete the interview (and the review), and then click on "states" and re-enter the California return - this should allow you to start from the beginning.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ln 5-Fed SS benefits amt

SAME ERROR AND YOUR 'FIX" DOESN'T WORK!!!

CAN'T FILE CA TAX RETURN!!!

Ln 5-Fed SS benefits amt

Try this as it worked for me. I went in the 1099-SSA part of the return under Federal Returns. In the box asking for Social Security Benefits, put 1. Then try to submit the taxes again. This worked for me a work around and it doesn't change your taxes. Good luck!

Ln 5-Fed SS benefits amt

this bug is still not fixed

MayankRana
Returning Member

Ln 5-Fed SS benefits amt

Hello,

I faced same issue today, and called customer care. Customer care representative was also clueless about this issue.

I tried modifying Form 1040 line 5b (from where california state form is taking social security related data).

I deleted California State Taxes related form which is complaining about this error going through clicking on forms on right most top corner, and selecting that form. Then retry again to file california state tax, and it goes through without generating this error as well creating same new form (which was previously deleted where it was giving complain.)

Hope this help !

Regards,

Mayank

Ln 5-Fed SS benefits amt

Thank you Mayank, this worked! To summarize, with no SSA income, don't use default, update and specifically enter 0. After federal review, and before proceeding again through state, delete the offending state form (if it was already filled out and complaining).  

Zyrax

Ln 5-Fed SS benefits amt

Thanks Mayank,

This worked for me! Deleting that form and then reloading it allowed me to continue!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies