Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Live in NJ, work in NY where does my dividend, interest, and capital losses/gains get allocated

I live in NJ, but work in NY so where does my dividend, interest and capital losses/gains get allocated?

In my non-resident NY form there is a section for: "Nonresident other allocations". In it I have my dividend, interest, and capital losses. It's asking to set a "New York Source Portion". Should I set all of these to 0 and then it'll get automatically allocated to New Jersey which is where I lived?

Also, it asked "Allocated Income based on Business". I put Yes and gave the reason: "RESIDE IN NJ, SO DIVIDEND, INTEREST, & CAPITAL GAINS/LOSS BEING ALLOCATED THERE". Is this valid?

Screenshot below with my Federal Income numbers removed for privacy reasons.  

image.png

image.png

image.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HopeS
Expert Alumni

Live in NJ, work in NY where does my dividend, interest, and capital losses/gains get allocated

If you worked in NY all year, all your wages were earned in New York state.  You will get a credit in NJ for taxes withheld in NY so you won't be double taxed. Nothing else is taxable to NY since you are a New Jersey resident.  

Therefore, allocate Zero for dividends, interest, etc since all should be sourced to NJ.

@juliorevka 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HopeS
Expert Alumni

If you worked in NY all year, all your wages were earned in New York state.  You will get a credit in NJ for taxes withheld in NY so you won't be double taxed. Nothing else is taxable to NY since you are a New Jersey resident.  

Therefore, allocate Zero for dividends, interest, etc since all should be sourced to NJ.

@juliorevka 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies