turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

basegad
Returning Member

Lack of and guidance in interview

Doing my State (California) taxes and getting frustrated by TurboTax's lack of help/guidance on specific topics in the interview.  For example, I get to the section on "Eligible for a Research Credit? and the d**n Turbo Tax asks me "Are you eligible to take this credit in 2020?"

F1 only brings us the stupid general help and there is no link to guidance or anything to help me answer this question.  Makes me wonder why I'm paying for this software and not just using the free versions when I have to dig into the IRS guides to figure it out.  

Get your act together TT or you are gone!!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is designed primarily to enable you to prepare your tax return, but it is not designed to act as a primer on tax law . There are limitations in all tax preparation software products with respect to how much tax information the programs can make available, given the complexity of the US and state tax codes.

Consequently, there may be some tax subject matter that you have to research outside of the program.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Where is the AI machine that has seen every question ever and parses and distills the user's question and comes up with the correct response, instead of some canned answer that is of no use?

Can that be so difficult, Watson?

Oh wait, if the Tax Code changes suddenly, how long will it take the AI to relearn everything?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies