turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mwhaury

My CA state tax return was e-filed yesterday at 6:30pm and is still pending today. Is something wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
CassandraLO
Intuit Alumni

My CA state tax return was e-filed yesterday at 6:30pm and is still pending today. Is something wrong?

It's not unusual for state returns to remain in pending status for several days. Don't worry, it should update soon.

Why is my state e-file still pending?

I E-filed on January 10th and still shows pending. What's happening to california e-filing? It was faster in the past so I do not know what the delay could be about. Any ideas?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The IRS has not officially opened for tax season. It has taken some returns as a test. The CA return can not process until after the federal has processed. I am not the IRS, but every year I see when filing season officially opens, the states begin to move. It opens Monday so expect progress soon.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So I filed on the 21st on January 22 my federal was accepted however my CALIFORNIA state is still pending, so I went over to check the state website and the state now says they have no record of my state return and that is not true because I obviously filed with turbo tax. This has never happened to me in the past with turbo tax. Just checked again and federal is accepted however California state still stuck on pending. I'm just concerned why Calif state franchise tax board says there's no record of me filing...If they are waiting for the IRS start processing than why has my federal been accepted?

BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

The IRS will not be officially accepting tax returns until 1/27/2020. Since you submitted your return early, TurboTax securely holds it in a "pending" state until the IRS begins accepting returns. Your state return cannot be accepted until your federal return is accepted.

Please wait at least 24-48 hours after 1/27/2020 to check on the status of your federal return and wait at least 48-72 hours after 1/27/2020 to check the status of your state return. Since it may be busy when the IRS first opens, it may take even longer. 

In the meantime, you can check to make sure both your federal and state returns were submitted. When you log into TurboTax it will show the status of your returns. You can also scroll down and click on "My Account" to get more information.

Please click on this TurboTax Article for more information on tracking your refund status.

@Californialife1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies