Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxpayer251
Returning Member

Iowa Taxes- Schedule A

I am using the standard deduction for Federal and will itemize for state (Iowa).  IA Schedule A requires Federal Form 8283 to be filed if amounts are greater than $500.  How do I get the Federal Form 8283 to be filed with my Iowa return to fulfill the Schedule A requirements, when I did not itemize my federal deductions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Iowa Taxes- Schedule A

You may take the standard deduction on the Federal tax return and itemized deductions on your state tax return.

You enter the itemized deductions on the Federal tax return and they flow to the state tax return.  In your case, prepare the Federal 8283 for Noncash Charitable Contributions by following these steps.

Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.

• Across the top of the screen, click Deductions & credits.
  • Scroll down to Donations to charity.
  • Click on Edit/Add to the right.
  • At the screen Review all your charities, click on Add another charity.
  • Answer the interview questions.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Taxpayer251
Returning Member

Iowa Taxes- Schedule A

Thank you for the response.  I did enter all the non cash contributions.  However, when I preview the forms TurboTax will file, Form 8283 is excluded from the IA filing forms.  How do I get Form 8283 to be created and filed with my IA tax forms (when I'm using the standard deduction for fed)?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Iowa Taxes- Schedule A

I am using TurboTax Online Self-Employed and created a cash and a noncash charitable contribution on the Federal tax return.  I am using the standard deduction on the Federal tax return.

In the IA tax return, I came to a screen Charitable Contribution Adjustments which states the following:

"Your charitable cash contributions in the amount of $100 and charitable noncash contributions in the amount of $2,000 have been transferred from your Federal Schedule A."

Are you able to view the detailed IA tax return?  A summary can be viewed by entering:

Tax Tools / Tools / View Tax Summary / IA Tax Summary.

Iowa Taxes- Schedule A

I have the same issue as taxpayer251.  

I am using TurboTax Premier downloaded version and had cash and noncash charitable contribution on the Federal tax return.  However, I took the standard deduction on the Federal tax return.

In the IA tax return, I too came to the screen Charitable Contribution Adjustments which indicated my charitable cash and noncash contributions had been transferred from my Federal Schedule A.  The amounts listed were accurate as to what I had entered during the Federal return interview process.

My noncash contributions exceeded the $500 threshhold .  However, when I go to VIew--> Forms, there is no Federal form 8283 to be found anywhere.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Iowa Taxes- Schedule A

1.  Since you are using the software, go to forms  located at the right upper corner of your screen. 
  2. Next select open form that is in the upper left corner of your screen.
  3. Select the drop down that says 2019 US form 1040
  4. Type in 8283 in the search box
  5. When you see it appear, highlight it and select open form
Taxpayer251
Returning Member

Iowa Taxes- Schedule A

I can view Form 8283 in the Forms view.  However, when I Preview the Returns for Filing (I always view the forms to be filed before I file), Form 8283 does not show up as a form that will be filed with my State tax return.  It only shows a copy of the Federal Tax Return without Form 8283 (I didn't need Form 8283 because I took the standard deduction for Federal), and since I am itemizing my Iowa tax return I need to file Form 8283 for my Iowa taxes but I can't figure out how to file that form with my Iowa taxes.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies