Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In the past I haven't had to file iowa state tax. I don't want to pay for something I don't need. How can determine if I have to file state tax.

Why didn't we get the full stimulus check of $2400. We got $2300.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

In the past I haven't had to file iowa state tax. I don't want to pay for something I don't need. How can determine if I have to file state tax.

In general, you need to file a tax return in Iowa if you had income from there of at least $9,000 (single filer) or $13,500 (joint), or if you are 65 years old or over income of $13,500 (single) or $32,000 (joint).

There are other requirements that you can read about here:

https://tax.iowa.gov/expanded-instructions/who-must-file-2018

When you prepare your tax return for 2020 in TurboTax, you will be prompted to enter how much you received for your stimulus and then the program will calculate the amount of stimulus due you based on your income, number of dependents and payments already received. If any additional stimulus is due you, it will be used to reduce your 2020 income tax liability, and the balance will be refunded to you.

You will see the options when you are done entering your tax information and proceed to the review process.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

In general, you need to file a tax return in Iowa if you had income from there of at least $9,000 (single filer) or $13,500 (joint), or if you are 65 years old or over income of $13,500 (single) or $32,000 (joint).

There are other requirements that you can read about here:

https://tax.iowa.gov/expanded-instructions/who-must-file-2018

When you prepare your tax return for 2020 in TurboTax, you will be prompted to enter how much you received for your stimulus and then the program will calculate the amount of stimulus due you based on your income, number of dependents and payments already received. If any additional stimulus is due you, it will be used to reduce your 2020 income tax liability, and the balance will be refunded to you.

You will see the options when you are done entering your tax information and proceed to the review process.

Unless you are a resident of Illinois who worked a W-2 job located in Iowa....and only IL taxes were withheld.

......you didn't make clear what state was your resident state

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I am familiar with the filing requirements for Iowa income tax.  The problem is Turbo Tax wants $40 for me to get enough information to know if I need to file. Maybe I don't know how to find it.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

If you know you are not required to file the Iowa (IA) state tax return and you want to delete that from your tax file you can use these steps as long as you have not paid or registered.

You can delete your state return in TurboTax Online as long as you haven't paid or registered yet.

1. Sign in and open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. From the left menu, select State (if you don't see this menu, select the menu icon in the upper-left) and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen.
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen select Delete to the right of your state, then answer Yes.

If you don't see the option to delete your state (you'll probably see Edit instead), you've already paid your TurboTax fees (including the state fee) or registered your free version while the state was on your return. If you've done either of these things, you can't delete your state return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies