turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my first stimulus check was taken by child support, do i qualify for the recovery rebate credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

If my first stimulus check was taken by child support, do i qualify for the recovery rebate credit?

You cannot get the 1st stimulus check by using the recovery rebate credit if that is what you mean.   If you did not receive the 2nd check you can use the credit to get it.  The IRS is not seizing the 2nd check for child support.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What I mean is that i was supposed to get the $1200 stimulus check but child support took the whole amount. I received the $600 check in full. While im filing my taxes, it asks me about the Recovery Rebate Credit. If i didn't receive the full amount then i get a credit for it. If i say i didnt receive the first one then it gives me 1200 on my refund but im asking am i aloud to get that credit if it was taken by child support

No you are not allowed to get it again.  You "got" it already----it just went to pay your back child support.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Capolnteppy
Returning Member

How do I find out for sure that child support got the 1st check of$1200? I never received it, but it's been over a year and it was never deducted from what I owed in child support either. I realize it should of been, but fact is they never got it, or never deducted the amnt from my balance therefore I would think i would be intitled to the rebate for it? I mean that or they need to deduct that amnt already, bc it will keep me from being able to get my refund as well. I desperately need these errors fix. I need my refund so badly. 

To find out if your federal tax refund will be offset, you will need to call the Bureau of Fiscal Service directly. Their number is 800-304-3107. You may not have anyone else call for you, nor may you call on anyone else’s behalf, this is a criminal offense – don’t do it. You will need to enter your Social Security number when prompted by the recording; this will search the database and let you know if there is an impending offset. You’ll need to write down information, including the agency that will receive the offset. You do have an option to pay some of these debts online at the agency website, and they even accept .... For federal student loans, you will need to go to the Department of Education’s debt resolution website.

you should have been notified of the offset. EIP1 and 2 were for 2020. when and how did you file? some 2020 returns still have not been processed as of this date

however, if you still owe child support any tax refund for 2021 including EIP 3 will likely be taken 

And....when you prepare your 2021 return.....if you still owe delinquent child support, the recovery rebate credit can be seized for the child support, even if it is shown on your Form 1040.   Any part of your 2021 refund including that credit, can be offset for child support.

TurboTax never knows if you owe child support or back taxes.   But the IRS knows and will seize your refund accordingly.  

refund offset.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-refund-offsets-pay-unpaid-debts

IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107

https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-refund-offsets-pay-unpaid-debts

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/what-is-a-refund-offset/00/26301

Reduced Refund      https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203

NOTE: You can contact the IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107 to ask if they have an offset for you on file. TurboTax would not have that information.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-payments/who-can-garnish-an-income-tax-refund/L7cPPzDyc

TurboTax does not receive feedback from the IRS regarding money that was offset from your refund.  If you owed back taxes or child support, you will receive a letter of explanation from the IRS in several weeks.  The WMR site will contain a message regarding your offset.  It is also possible that the IRS caught a mistake you made and reduced your refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies