turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my ex-husband claims our daughter on his federal return (court-ordered), can I still claim her in another state(California)? Does one state negate the other?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If my ex-husband claims our daughter on his federal return (court-ordered), can I still claim her in another state(California)? Does one state negate the other?

No you cannot.  Remember that the non-custodial parent can only claim the dependent and the child tax credit, never the EIC or child care credit, both of which require that the parent claiming those credits actually physically lived with the child mote than half the year.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I am the custodial parent. I have her 100% of the time. According to our court order he can claim her every other year. So my question is - does that apply to federal and state or just federal?

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

I would strongly recommend reviewing your court order. In every case like this I've ever seen, when the noncustodial taxpayer takes the federal dependent exemption (they often take them in alternating years), they also claim the dependent on the state level. As far as the state is concerned, it sounds like you qualify to claim the dependent. But that won't stop you from being hit with contempt of court at the local level if you violate the court order if the father wants to push the issue. 

If your court order is unclear, you might consider seeking legal advice. Or just go the safe route and claim her on both returns every other year. 

@amydbreslow

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@amydbreslow wrote:

I am the custodial parent. I have her 100% of the time. According to our court order he can claim her every other year. So my question is - does that apply to federal and state or just federal?

I know of no state that allows you to claim a dependent that is claimed by another taxpayer on the Federal return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies