Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EmEm417

If my 1099G doesn't have the state ID number but I paid state taxes on my unemployment, what should I do?

I got my 1099G and the only thing missing is the state ID number. I'm in a state that sees unemployment as taxable income and it shows I paid taxes. I just can't progress from here. What should I do? FAQs gives no information and Unemployment phone lines are completely swamped.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

If my 1099G doesn't have the state ID number but I paid state taxes on my unemployment, what should I do?

This year we have seen a number of states issue 1099-G forms that have tax withheld in box 11, but boxes 10a and/or 10b are empty. TurboTax requires that if box 11 has a value, then boxes 10a and 10b must also have entries.

Box 10a is probably the two-letter state code for your state (example: "MI" for Michigan). The filer identification number for box 10b is likely to be the same to the Payer’s TIN on the left side of the form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
EmEm417

So I just put in the federal number? If so, I'm going to feel quite silly for this...

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Yes, go ahead and do so. Historically, the state file ID was related to the Payer's TIN (like IL-26-1234567) anyway.

If the state won't tell you and they won't answer their phones, it's the best you can do under the circumstances. Besides, a copy of this data should have been sent to the state already, so there should not be a problem.

royed1

If my 1099R doesn't have the state ID number but I paid state taxes what should I do?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You will need to contact the agency that issued you the Form 1099-G to obtain the state ID number. 

The amounts on this form are reported to the taxing agencies and matched with the amounts reported on your tax return.

See the link below and select the applicable state to find out how to contact your particular state.

Contact information for 1099-G forms

@royed1

I just called IDES, according to the agent, you can leave the box for state id number blank, as long as you enter the federal id number. Hope it help. 😊 

you dont need it enter TIN

Theo1944

my 1099-g form only has 8 boxes

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

To clarify, which state paid? 

zendaj

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If the State Identification Number field is blank on your 1099-G, you can use the Federal Identification Number (or Payor's TIN) for your TurboTax entry.

@zendaj 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies