Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fozzie56

If a trust is domiciled in arizona, and all of the 2018 income was distributed to the beneficiaries, do I need to file an Arizona state tax return for the trust

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If a trust is domiciled in arizona, and all of the 2018 income was distributed to the beneficiaries, do I need to file an Arizona state tax return for the trust

"If a trust is domiciled in arizona..."

According to Arizona, a resident trust is a trust of which the fiduciary is a resident of Arizona. A nonresident trust is a trust that is not a resident trust and only has a filing obligation if there is Arizona source income.

The fiduciary must file a return for the trust if the trust has any Arizona taxable income for the tax year or the trust's gross income for the tax year is $5,000 or more, regardless of the amount of the Arizona taxable income.

See https://azdor.gov/forms/fiduciary-forms/arizona-fiduciary-income-tax-return

View solution in original post

7 Replies

"If a trust is domiciled in arizona..."

According to Arizona, a resident trust is a trust of which the fiduciary is a resident of Arizona. A nonresident trust is a trust that is not a resident trust and only has a filing obligation if there is Arizona source income.

The fiduciary must file a return for the trust if the trust has any Arizona taxable income for the tax year or the trust's gross income for the tax year is $5,000 or more, regardless of the amount of the Arizona taxable income.

See https://azdor.gov/forms/fiduciary-forms/arizona-fiduciary-income-tax-return

This is a great answer, but does your TT Business package have the forms for Arizona?  I assume that if I buy the business package, then it comes with a free state, which will include the AZ fiduciary tax return.  The 1041 is relatively easy, the AZ form not so much.

@FoxyGrandpa   Check this FAQ for Business States.  And if you need a state it is not free, state is $50.  Only the personal programs come with a free state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-forms/state-forms-availability-table... 

For federal you can use one Business program.  You have to buy the state Business program separately from inside the federal program.  Buy federal Business here (only available for Windows and not Online).  Click on State Additional to see state price....

https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes

Yes, the Business product has the forms for Arizona fiduciary.

See https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotaxbusiness_states_windows_sel...

OK, so I bought turbo tax business and am using it to file my federal 1041 and arizona trust tax returns.  So how do I file my personal 1040  using turbo tax business.  I have no other business.  It looks like I need to also buy turbo tax premier to be able to file my personal income taxes.    Is this correct?  Please advise.

@FoxyGrandpa wrote:

It looks like I need to also buy turbo tax premier to be able to file my personal income taxes.    Is this correct? 

Yes, you are correct; TurboTax Business does not support the preparation of personal income tax returns. As a result, you need to purchase Premier if you want to use an online version of TurboTax.

Thank you.  I shall immediately start shopping around for another brand of tax filing software.  I enjoyed using turbo tax over the years but it's time to move on to a product that does a better job of fulfilling my needs.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies