turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lived in VA and FL last year but only earned money in FL. I moved to FL and I am now a full-time FL resident. Do I need to file state returns for both states?

I became a FL resident in August 2019.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I lived in VA and FL last year but only earned money in FL. I moved to FL and I am now a full-time FL resident. Do I need to file state returns for both states?

No, you do not need to file returns for both states.

If you had no income during the time that you were a Virginia resident or from Virginia sources, then you would not be required to file a Virginia tax return.

Florida does not have a state income tax, so you do not need to file a return for Florida.  The only exception is for taxpayers operating a business or rental property in Florida.  In those cases, there is a personal property tax return that may need to be filed.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Florida doesn't have an income tax. 

You have to file a VA Part-year tax return for all income before your move to FL.

1)  In the MY Info section, you edit your personal information (and spouse if applicable) to indicate you were a FL resident on 31 Dec of 2019, and moved from VA on your August move date.

2) then fill in every scrap of your Federal info...nothing can be done with VA until the Fed section is fully filled in...every dang scrap.

3) Only then venture into the VA Part Year tax return, and you will be required to indicate what sub-portion of the Federal income was earned while you were still living in VA .

Check your forms to see if they look about right.  VA may use your total year's income at the start, but should ratio down the taxable income (or the tax) according to what % of the total was actually received by you while you lived there.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

No, you do not need to file returns for both states.

If you had no income during the time that you were a Virginia resident or from Virginia sources, then you would not be required to file a Virginia tax return.

Florida does not have a state income tax, so you do not need to file a return for Florida.  The only exception is for taxpayers operating a business or rental property in Florida.  In those cases, there is a personal property tax return that may need to be filed.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you - that is good news!  I did not have any income in VA, only in FL, so it does look like I thought - no state filings.  🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies