Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live internationally working as a teacher in Honduras and not making any money in the US or working any in the US. QUESTION do I need to file taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I live internationally working as a teacher in Honduras and not making any money in the US or working any in the US. QUESTION do I need to file taxes?

If you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident, you are required to file a U.S. tax return to report your worldwide income.

Please read this TurboTax Help topic on how to report to report your foreign income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the great help!! If I could ask one question more. If I have not filed due to my not thinking I had to for about 3 years will I be penalized? Is the IRS going to come get me, hahaha! 

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

There may be penalties and/or interest if you owed a balance on those returns.  But, don't worry, they won't come and get you.

Here is a link to past years returns for Turbo Tax ( you can go back 3 years):  TurboTax Past Years Program

Bwaahaa, thanks!! SO would you advise to start this tax season in filing or wait until I get back to the states in 2021? You have been a great help and thank you very much!

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You may be able to exclude $105,900 of income you earn per year while out of the country from taxation. If it turns out you do not owe any income tax because of the exclusion, you will not be penalized for not filing your tax return. 

But technically you are required to file a federal tax return to report your income and apply for the exclusion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies